PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy: Nvidia drivers + Windows wireless drivers = bad

manosdvd
May 4th, 2008, 09:16 PM
So I recently had to revert back to Gutsy because of a problem with Hardy I've been having. It's repeatable though so perhaps there's a fix.

I installed Hardy and things seemed fine for a while until an update or two which lead to my wireless connection becoming very unstable and eventually not connecting at all. The drivers still seem working right and it's reading local connections, but it won't connect at all. For whatever reason I found that turning off the restricted drivers for Nvidia, suddenly my wireless sprung back to life. Essentially, it leaves me with having to choose one or the other.
The problem is not present in Gutsy except when I leave the computer running for 6-12 hours my connection apparently randomly disappears requiring a restart (seems to have something to do with programs that activate on their own such as Pidgin).
If anyone can figure out the problem I'd appreciate it (and I apologize if the question's already been asked).
Thanks a lot, the Ubuntu support community is fantabulous.

Also probably relevant to provide that I'm using a linksys adapter with Ndiswrapper and windows drivers.

manosdvd
May 7th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Feel a bit lame bumping my own thread, but the problem remains and I'd very much like to get with the program and upgrade to Hardy. Any wild guesses?

Het Irv
May 19th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I am having the same problem, and am working on fixing it, but I am using the broadcom restricted drivers. If I figure anything out, I will let you know.

stchman
May 19th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Never buy a Broadcom wireless device. They don't support Linux so I don't support them.