PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] installation on old laptop

tsiragusa
May 4th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I'd like to install Ubuntu on an old laptop - Sony Vaio vgn-f480 - with a max ram of 256mb. I see that 8.0.4 Hardy Heron requires 384mb ram for installation.

Can anyone recommend a lighter ubuntu installation or maybe another distro?

Thank you.

tsiragusa
May 4th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hmm. I am going to try xubuntu, which requires only 128mb ram for installation. It uses the xfce desktop.

lemuriaX
May 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
you could also try fluxbuntu - fluxbox is lighter than xfce

drsox1899
May 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Good idea. It's fast and just as good as other versions - except for some missing bits.

Other options are in this thread :

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456

Luck

tsiragusa
May 5th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Many thanks to you both. Since xubuntu won't load either (the system does not want to load from CD for some reason) I may have other issues. I can get into setup to check that cdrom is first in boot order, but to no avail. Maybe display settings?? The cd will load in another computer and checksum was good.

Giving fluxbuntu at shot can't hurt.

Thanks again,

- Thom

az
May 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
I may have other issues. I can get into setup to check that cdrom is first in boot order, but to no avail. Maybe display settings?? The cd will load in another computer and checksum was good.

I doubt your display setting has any bearing on this problem. It's likely that your optical drive is not working properly.

Can your laptop boot from usb?

Also, the live cd requires more ram than the alternate cd. You can try installing any versino of ubuntu from the alternate cd instead of the live (desktop) cd.

tsiragusa
May 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately, no, I do not see an option for usb in the boot sequence. plus, it's usb 1.0 if that matters. I will try the alternate cd choice as I have been downloading and burning the Live CD.

Thanks!
- Thom

IHATEDLINK
May 5th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Xubuntu should go fine,
I think the alternate CD uses less RAM...