PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New to ubuntu, windows live services

cgn
May 4th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 7.10, using wubi and i been browsing and working around with it, so far i started to like it, few glitches here and there but seems to me this may be the OS i will keep form my internet/Multimedia maybe? PC.

The main problem I have right now is that I can't fully access:

http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/

The "Live" Services "kinda" works but seems like is not fully supported by ubuntu, for example hotmail opens on the minimal version but i know it works i have installed opera and opens fine, but again it's small business live that is not working properly and i'm looking forward to try it.

My questions are:

Does windows services live works fine for you in ubuntu?
Do i have to really worry and understand that the services may not work fine? (I understand is Microsoft and they are "kinda" evil) myself i think i'm expecting that ubuntu may not be fully compatible with these services, am i wrong?

Thanks for your comments

kwacka
May 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
There are a couple of sites that give me trouble under Firefox, but I've found Konqueror to manage them much better.

You don't need a full Kubuntu installation, it runs under Ubuntu with some of the KDE libraries.

Another alternative might be IEs4linux, IE runs under WINE. See: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

I don't think you'll get much joy waiting for MS to offer support for their sites under Ubuntu/Linux.

SunnyRabbiera
May 4th, 2008, 07:08 PM
well that live site not working for you is no big surprise to me, Microsoft really doesn't like anyone using their crap unless its by Microsoft products.
But there are probably ways around it for sure.
If need be you can actually install microsoft IE in ubuntu via a application called WINE or crossover if you have some money... there is also IE4linux too.
Remember we live in a microsoft ruled market, linux can only do so much on its own without the backing of those who currently reside in Microsoft's pockets.
Linux is a very versatile OS though, we are making strides all the time but there will always be something holding us back.

starcannon
May 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
I agree with the previous posters, I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for MicroSoft to become friendly with other Operating Systems, particularly hostile towards Linux.

Heres a snippet from an article you can read in full here:
http://www.news.com/2100-1001-217387.html

"OSS poses a direct, short-term revenue and platform threat to Microsoft, particularly in server space," the document reads. "Additionally, the intrinsic parallelism and free idea exchange in OSS has benefits that are not replicable with our current licensing model and therefore present a long-term developer mindshare threat."

Google around a bit, you'll find that MS is not going to play nice unless forced, as in the EU case.

cgn
May 4th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks for the help

stalkier
May 4th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I have installed Ubuntu 7.10, using wubi and i been browsing and working around with it, so far i started to like it, few glitches here and there but seems to me this may be the OS i will keep form my internet/Multimedia maybe? PC.

The main problem I have right now is that I can't fully access:

http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/

The "Live" Services "kinda" works but seems like is not fully supported by ubuntu, for example hotmail opens on the minimal version but i know it works i have installed opera and opens fine, but again it's small business live that is not working properly and i'm looking forward to try it.

My questions are:

Does windows services live works fine for you in ubuntu?
Do i have to really worry and understand that the services may not work fine? (I understand is Microsoft and they are "kinda" evil) myself i think i'm expecting that ubuntu may not be fully compatible with these services, am i wrong?

Thanks for your comments

Hey man. I am not sure what The Live Service is or how it works, HOWEVER if it is a new MS site then it is going to only work with "Silverlight" installed. I guess it is the MS equivalent to Flash or whatever. Just a though.