PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need to know how to install Ubuntu with Vista

CHUNKYBOWSER
May 4th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Pretty general question... I am currently running Windows Vista, but I want to be able to run Ubuntu without losing anything on Vista. xD Are there any videos that might show me how?

RATM_Owns
May 4th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Under Control Panel look for Disk Management and shrink your Vista partition at least 4 GB.
Then when it's done, put the live CD in, reboot and go along the installation as you normally would. Then after the Partitioner is set up, choose "Largest Continuous Free Space" and continue normally.

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
This might help:
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty_p2?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=464425

CHUNKYBOWSER
May 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
Would it be OK to make a partition of about 30 GB for Ubuntu instead?

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Here's a better idea: Wipe vista. You don't need all that pricey software and virii anyway :lolflag:.

Just kidding. :guitar:

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Would it be OK to make a partition of about 30 GB for Ubuntu instead?

Yes, that would work too.

30gigs is all Ubuntu really needs.

CHUNKYBOWSER
May 4th, 2008, 02:26 PM
OK, so I'm going to write Ubuntu 8.04 to a CD... Then restart the computer and boot from the CD, correct? After I install everything, how would I get back to Windows? :p I'm kind of a noob at this stuff.

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Dual boot for a while and when you know what you like; act accordingly.

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
OK, so I'm going to write Ubuntu 8.04 to a CD... Then restart the computer and boot from the CD, correct? After I install everything, how would I get back to Windows? :p I'm kind of a noob at this stuff.

After it installs, it will install GRUB (a boot loader) automatically. When it boots, just select "windows".

CHUNKYBOWSER
May 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Cool. :) And there is no real danger to my files on Windows, correct?

c007c
May 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm doing that now. All I had to do was create unallocated space by shrinking my windows Vista filesystem and delete the volume info. Then load the Live CD, and during the install you can either choose use all the unallocated space, or partition the unallocated space yourself manually. The only way you would blow things away is choosing entire disk option, which may be the default!

Then after the install you will see a grub loader screen during the boot sequence, where you can choose to boot Vista or Ubuntu. By default, Vista (Longhorn) will be last. You will have to edit the menu.lst file, to make Vista first (above automagic section). Remember, if you decide to remove Linux after you do this, you won't be able to get past grub. Grub needs to be removed prior to removing Linux, via repair of master boot record, something you need to ask somebody that went back to windows how to do. I have an idea of what the command is, but would never do it.:)

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
There shouldn't be. But, you may want to back up your important files. You can never be too safe. I have never had Ubuntu screw up windows, and it is very rare, but could happen

CHUNKYBOWSER
May 4th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Oh, one more question. What type of partition should I make? FAT32 or NTFS?

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I'm doing that now. All I had to do was create unallocated space by shrinking my windows Vista filesystem and delete the volume info. Then load the Live CD, and during the install you can either choose use all the unallocated space, or partition the unallocated space yourself manually. The only way you would blow things away is choosing entire disk option, which may be the default!

Then after the install you will see a grub loader screen during the boot sequence, where you can choose to boot Vista or Ubuntu. By default, Vista (Longhorn) will be last. You will have to edit the menu.lst file, to make Vista first (above automagic section). Remember, if you decide to remove Linux after you do this, you won't be able to get past grub. Grub needs to be removed prior to removing Linux, via repair of master boot record, something you need to ask somebody that went back to windows how to do. I have an idea of what the command is, but would never do it.:)

To fix the MBR, find your windows boot disk, and boot into the recovery terminal. Then type "FIXMBR", and restart. NO GRUB! :lolflag:

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Doesn't matter. Ubuntu will format it to its own filesystem (ext3, far superior to NTFS). But, just go with NTFS, because I have installed on an NTFS drive before.

c007c
May 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Thats Windows stuff...Leave the partition unallocated. The install will create it for you (ext3)

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Thats Windows stuff...Leave the partition unallocated. The install will create it for you (ext3)

That works too. Go with his idea. Formatting is a waste of time xD

c007c
May 4th, 2008, 02:36 PM
To fix the MBR, find your windows boot disk, and boot into the recovery terminal. Then type "FIXMBR", and restart. NO GRUB! :lolflag:
What if you don't have one? What would you/could you do prior to wiping out Ubuntu, isn't there a "fdisk /mbr" command?

DBrocks
May 4th, 2008, 02:40 PM
What if you don't have one? What would you/could you do prior to wiping out Ubuntu, isn't there a "fdisk /mbr" command?

You can't do fdisk in windows. (just tried) sorry, windows can't make anything easy. However, check out this site: It may help you

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/27414-repair-mbr-without-xp-cd.html

Pumalite
May 4th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Super Grub will fix your Windows MBR:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/supergrubdiskpage.html