PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy upgrade Failed

deaster2
May 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM
I am trying to upgrade from gutsy to hardy via update manager but
get this error: "http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/Release Unable to find expected entry commercial/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)"

Can anyone tell me what I need to do...This is an HP dual-core AMD64 laptop. Gutsy works fine....
Thanks in advance

alienexplorers
May 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM
You would have been better off doing a completely new install of 8.04.

Shampyon
May 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Go to your terminal and enter

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Search for the word "web". It shouldn't appear in any of your sources, but a few people have noticed it mysteriously added to theirs. This error occured on my system a day or two ago. I was lucky enough to have finished my upgrade before then.

So if you see "web" added in your source lines just delete all instances, save and restart your update manager.

deaster2
May 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Go to your terminal and enter

gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
Search for the word "web". It shouldn't appear in any of your sources, but a few people have noticed it mysteriously added to theirs. This error occured on my system a day or two ago. I was lucky enough to have finished my upgrade before then.

So if you see "web" added in your source lines just delete all instances, save and restart your update manager.

Thanks for the response...the word "web" wasn't in the sources.list file...it couldn't have been that simple. Strange that my desktop upgraded without a hitch, but this laptop has failed numerous times.