PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Ubuntu Appearance

MongooseCage
May 4th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I am confused, should I go into heavily modifying Hardy Heron till its not recognizable like I did in Gutsy? Does modifying icons and themes consume RAM and make your computer slower?

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I would not think so unless the theme components are poorly designed. Running compiz/emerald will be slower than just metacity but the impact is negligible on a modern computer. Theme at will good sir.

MongooseCage
May 4th, 2008, 08:59 AM
But it seems like from 7.10 installing Emerald makes your computer slower even if you have uninstalled it... strange...

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
If a program is not running it will not impact the performance of the os. If you have over 512mb of ram Ubuntu should be very fast.

MongooseCage
May 4th, 2008, 09:12 AM
If a program is not running it will not impact the performance of the os. If you have over 512mb of ram Ubuntu should be very fast.

Strange, in 7.10 my computer was getting upto 1 GB hogged and it was easily very buggy, crashed, programs often grayed out. Its all good now that I am in 8.04.

NightwishFan
May 4th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Generally just check the system monitor for rogue processes, taking a lot of cpu or ram. (Evolution and Wine are notorious for that).