PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Restore Default Alsa After Following Online Instructions

TopRamen
May 4th, 2008, 05:01 AM
In an effort to fix my Ubuntu Hardy sound issues on my Dell 700m Laptop, I followed the directions on this page:
http://kubasik.net/blog/2008/03/31/sound-problems-in-ubuntu-hardy/

Unfortunately, after doing so, my audio is now very crackly and unbearable. I've looked through the module-assistant documentation and cannot figure out how to undo the following actions:
sudo apt-get install module-assistant
sudo m-a update
sudo m-a prepare
sudo m-a a-i alsa

Any assistance in doing so would be immensely appreciated. Thank you!

TopRamen
May 7th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Come on guys. Please, I just want sound out of this damn operating system!

TopRamen
May 11th, 2008, 05:06 AM
No love here?! Latest update is that my sound works in other applications such as Rhythmbox but it doesn't work in flash within the web browser. I really just wanna undo the changes I made by following the guide I posted above. This will hopefully fix my problem. I just don't know how to go about undoing the changes.

jocko
May 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM
If you really want to undo what module-assistant did, just uninstall the package alsa-modules-<your kernel version here>.
You'll find it in synaptic under "Installed packages (local or obsolete)".

TopRamen
May 11th, 2008, 10:11 PM
If you really want to undo what module-assistant did, just uninstall the package alsa-modules-<your kernel version here>.
You'll find it in synaptic under "Installed packages (local or obsolete)".

After I uninstall it, how do I restore Ubuntu to what it had by default as far as sound modules go? Is there a package I'll need to re-install? Basically, what exactly does module-assistant do? I understand it re-compiles modules but does it replace and detach a package from aptitude? Thanks!

jocko
May 12th, 2008, 08:56 PM
After I uninstall it, how do I restore Ubuntu to what it had by default as far as sound modules go? Is there a package I'll need to re-install? Basically, what exactly does module-assistant do? I understand it re-compiles modules but does it replace and detach a package from aptitude? Thanks!

I don't think it replaces anything, so uninstalling the package i told you about should get everything back to the way it was before.
If that didn't work, maybe reinstalling the kernel and all installed alsa packages will work.