PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] No space left on device?

cardinals_fan
May 3rd, 2008, 10:47 PM
I attached a SanDisk MagicGate memory stick (through my printer), and began to copy files. When the drive is only 23% full (according to df), I receive a "No space left on device" error in Thunar. If I copy with cp, it also says:
cp: cannot create regular file `/media/disk/PC230045.JPG': No space left on device Why is this happening?

dcast
May 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
Try clearing your trash bin. I find that helps when this happens, somehow the trash gets moved to the device on a hidden folder.

MockY
May 3rd, 2008, 10:51 PM
Something similar happened after I washed my memory stick. Does it work in another machine? Not saying yours is broken, but mine sure was. I would try doing what dcast suggested, show hidden folders on the device and empty the trash out.

cardinals_fan
May 3rd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Clearing the trash didn't work.

cardinals_fan
May 3rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Something similar happened after I washed my memory stick. Does it work in another machine? Not saying yours is broken, but mine sure was.
I doubt it - the card is brand new. I can't test on another machine because my printer has the only slot for MagicGate cards in my house, and it's too big to move.

cardinals_fan
May 3rd, 2008, 11:15 PM
I figured out most of the problem - I could only add a certain number of files to each directory on the drive. Does anyone know how I might change this limit?

I've got it! According to Wikipedia:
The number of root directory entries available is set at formatting time, and is stored in a 16-bit signed field setting an absolute limit of 32767 entries (32736, a multiple of 32, in practice). For historical reasons, FAT12 and FAT16 media generally use 512 root directory entries on non-floppy media, and other sizes may be incompatible with some software or devices (entries being file and/or folder names in the old 8.3 format).[9] Some third party tools like mkdosfs allow the user to set this parameter.[10]
Thus, my Fat-16 drive will only allow a little over 500 files in one directory.