PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with mysql symbolic links

flamingsole
May 3rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hello,

I just upgraded to Hardy Heron, and am getting all of my data working the way it was on Gutsy.

In Gutsy, I stored my MySQL data files on the /home partition, and created a symbolic link to them inside /var/lib. So, there was a symbolic link called mysql that pointed to /home/username/mysql, which was owned by the MySQL server.

I can't get this to work on Hardy, though. I've created the symbolic link, verified that it is owned by MySQL, but when I try to start the MySQL server I get a fail message. I'm not sure where to find more information on the failure, or what I need to do differently.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jon

Monicker
May 3rd, 2008, 11:00 PM
Check /var/log/mysql.log. What kind of errors does that show?

flamingsole
May 3rd, 2008, 11:17 PM
/var/log/mysql.log and /var/log/mysql.err are both empty. That doesn't seem normal, maybe they are somewhere else?

Monicker
May 3rd, 2008, 11:39 PM
/var/log/mysql.log and /var/log/mysql.err are both empty. That doesn't seem normal, maybe they are somewhere else?

/var/log/mysql.log is the default location. Even if it dies trying to start up, normally something is written to the log files. You can verify the location of the logs by looking at /etc/mysql/my.cnf

Also check /var/log/daemon.log

flamingsole
May 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
The main log file says this, from a couple of attempts at starting mysql:

/usr/sbin/mysqld, Version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5-log ((Ubuntu)). started with:
Tcp port: 3306 Unix socket: /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Time Id Command Argument
Time Id Command Argument
Time Id Command Argument

TwoWordz
April 7th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Did you fix this?

I have the same problem.

TW

flamingsole
April 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM
No, I never did fix it. I've just used and restored a backup of the MySQL data. The symlink never did work.