PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Does shutdown unmount drives ?

Scratches
May 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
If you use the menu option to shutdown the computer, does it unmount removable drives before shutting down? Or will I lose or corrupt data this way?

Reason I ask, is with the new 8.04, I'm unable to unmount any of my Western Digital USB Passport drives by right clicking on their desktop icons.

Thanks,

Scratches

SunnyRabbiera
May 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
yeh its usually unmounted during shutdown, I would not worry about it

acelin
May 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
Yeah its unmounted.

nowshining
May 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
yes and for ur unmounting problem, it may still show the icon, but it's ummounted or should be and when double-clicking the icon it should auto-mount it.

Scratches
May 4th, 2008, 12:23 PM
I've tested it. Shutdown DOES NOT safely unmount USB drives before shutting down the computer. I copied 2 directories to a usb western digital passport, then used the menu shutdown (quit). After reboot there was no data on the passport drives.

I can't believe this unmount bug isn't hotfixed already.

Scratches

mali2297
May 4th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Have you tried dismounting the device from the terminal?

First, find the device name by typing

mount

Say it's /dev/sdb1. Then run

sudo umount -v /dev/sdb1

Do you get any error messages?

ugm6hr
May 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
If you use the menu option to shutdown the computer, does it unmount removable drives before shutting down? Or will I lose or corrupt data this way?

Reason I ask, is with the new 8.04, I'm unable to unmount any of my Western Digital USB Passport drives by right clicking on their desktop icons.

Shutdown does usually unmount all drives first.

However, if you can't unmount, then shutdown will not be able to either.

This is bizarre - I've just installed 8.04 (Ubuntu AMD64), and my WD Passport works fine.

Must be Thunar misbehaving in XFCE (I have had similar problems of being unable to unmount with Xubuntu 7.10 on a different machine, which ended up corrupting all my files).

Scratches
May 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Have you tried dismounting the device from the terminal?

First, find the device name by typing

mount

Say it's /dev/sdb1. Then run

sudo umount -v /dev/sdb1

Do you get any error messages?

I get this,
umount: /media/WD Passport: device is busy

This is a fresh install of xubuntu 8.04

mali2297
May 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Further troubleshooting...

Have you tried disabling Thunar volume manager?
(Go to File Manager Preferences -> Advanced or uninstall the package thunar-volman.)

Whiffle
May 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I get this,
umount: /media/WD Passport: device is busy

This is a fresh install of xubuntu 8.04

That generally means something is using that directory, ie there is a file open, or a terminal is in that directory. Try doing

lsof | grep WD

in terminal.
It should show whats using it.

mgm74
October 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
I seem to have the same problem, but with my windows FAT32 particion (mounted in /windows). I moved a file from my linux partition to the windows partition and after rebooting to windows, it was missing.

I may have a shutdown script issue (that could be the reason). The shutdown actually takes too short time.. ~10s and it does not give the type of messages I got used to with Debian.

I do get the System is shutting down message + a few network related assertion failure and warning. Right after these comes the poweroff.
Perhaps the network card issues generate an error which is not handled.. and the rest of shutdown is not performed (including the unmount).

Any help would be appreciated.. thanks.