PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install?

TedM
May 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hi there I am downloading Ubuntu at the moment. I have a question thoughsoo I have 3 installations of XP on this computer. If I boot off Ubuntu, select English, then Install Full, etc. will it format my drive? I wouldn't want that... or does it give me options and the like.

Another thing, I've downloaded Ubuntu trying to get the Hash check right. For the Desktop i386 is it right to assume that the hash is:

8895167a794c5d8dedcc312fc62f1f1f
?

I want to make sure that I'm not getting false positives. All help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sincerely,

TedM

C!oud
May 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
What are you trying to do? Are you trying to partition your drive and keep your xp installtions or are you trying to erase your whole hard drive and install ubuntu on the full drive?

Helios38
May 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM
hello, first of all, i suggest you torrent the .iso, much less chance for the hash to go badly, it checks the hash automatically, and it will go much faster.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04/ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

additionally, when you boot up from the disk, and choose install, you will be given eventually, partitioning options. allowing you to resize partitions, wipe partitions, or just use the entire drive.

if you resize partitions and use free space you should not loose any data.

either way, back up your valuable data, no installer is 100% safe. always chance for something to go wrong.

C!oud
May 3rd, 2008, 09:12 PM
There is also a thing included on the liveCD called wubi which installs ubuntu as a program on xp and allows you when you restart your computer to boot into ubuntu though i suggest that you just boot from the liveCD and see if you like it then just install it from there.

TedM
May 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM
Okay, thank you all, I think I know what to do now.

And to the first replier, what I want to do is install Ubuntu along side my XP. So at start up I get 4 OS choices.

Sincerely,

TedM