PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Got 8.04 but cant get into LiveCD to reinstall

Dj Dutchman
May 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hi, i recently installed 8.04 and in my attempt to setup a home server I must have made some mistakes along the way & now I would like to reinstall Xubuntu but when I put the LiveCD in it still boots into my installed Xubuntu (on the HDD), even though my CD drive is higher than my HDD in boot priority. Even if I completely remove HDD from the boot list it still boots from the HDD...

Help...

Monicker
May 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Sounds like an issue with your BIOS, or the CD drive itself. Can you read a CD which is in the drive while you are in Ubuntu?

suprfish
May 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
Does it at least attempt to boot from CD? (do you hear the drive whirring while booting)? Did you write the CD yourself?

Dj Dutchman
May 3rd, 2008, 07:54 PM
It does 'whir'. I did write the disk my self but it installed fine & I checked the disk (from the LiveCD menu) & I just booted to liveCD on 1 of my other PC's. I'm gonna sound like a complete noob but how do I check the disk from Xubuntu side???

st33med
May 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
Hello DJ. When you say you cannot boot from the CD, did you set your BIOS to start from the CD? Was your hard-drive 'blank' when you installed Xubuntu? What did you do to screw up your Xubuntu install?

suprfish
May 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
It does 'whir'. I did write the disk my self but it installed fine & I checked the disk (from the LiveCD menu) & I just booted to liveCD on 1 of my other PC's. I'm gonna sound like a complete noob but how do I check the disk from Xubuntu side???

Stick the disk in the drive and see if you can mount and explore it, there may have been corruption when your first wrote it or ...

Dj Dutchman
May 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
The 1st time I set it to start from CD, the 2nd time I removed all references of the hard drives (i forgot to mention, I have 2 - one with xubuntu & the other is blank). No, the HHD wasn't blank when I installed, t had an xubuntu 7.10 install which I wrote over...

st33med
May 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Hrm. Yeah, you might want to reburn OR try to manually tell the BIOS to boot from the CD by first looking at the buttons you can press, then reboot and press the button that says something about boot (Ex: 'F12 = Boot Menu') rapidly. Then, tell it to boot off the CD.

Dj Dutchman
May 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
before i try that, I just tried to mount the drive with

mount /dev/cdrom

I have NO idea if this is the right command but I get a 'No medium found' error message...