PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cleaning the garbage out of ubuntu?

UnWarierMage224
May 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hi folks,

(One more).

... In Windows I used to use the app CCleaner to get rid of all the garbage (cache files/temp files/etc and the like). Is there any such application for Ubuntu or way to do it? Is it even necessary?

-'Mage

SunnyRabbiera
May 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
well if you use firefox it does have a built in cache cleaner/ cookie cleaner, what applications do you use to browse the net?
as for extra junk lets go down the list first.

UnWarierMage224
May 3rd, 2008, 07:00 PM
I use firefox to browse the web.. I do have all the cleaning options enabled. It clears all my stuff every time I close FF.

However, when you download a file and auto-open it (like a PDF for example) in FF, where does FF stick the temp file? Does it delete it when it's through?

Oldsoldier2003
May 3rd, 2008, 07:04 PM
Hi folks,

(One more).

... In Windows I used to use the app CCleaner to get rid of all the garbage (cache files/temp files/etc and the like). Is there any such application for Ubuntu or way to do it? Is it even necessary?

-'Mage

bootclean runs on boot and clears out your /tmp

sudo apt-get clean will clear out your package cache
clear out your thumbnails once in awhile if you have a lot of graphics. you can do it manually by clearing out the .thumbnails folder in your home
dir.find ~/.thumbnails -type f -atime +7 -exec rm {} \;will kill any thumbnails over 7 days

you can also clean out any logs you are not interested in keeping. they are stored in /var/log and its safe to delete the gzipped logs.

cd /var/log
sudo rm -r *.gz

UnWarierMage224
May 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Ah, that's very useful information! Thanks!

-'Mage

SunnyRabbiera
May 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
that should do it, there is no "temporary internet files" to worry about if you keep on cleaning your cache.