PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Playing Multiple Audio in 8.04

simonfiction
May 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Hi,
I've done a fresh install of 8.04 on my system which ran Gutsy no problems. Not sure why but I know longer seem to be able to have 2 applications play audio at the same time. For example, I can't listen to rhythmbox and watch flash video with audio. Or even rhthymbox with the last.fm client. I get the message "The ALSA sound system is either busy or not present".

All of my devices are set to "Autodetect" in the Sound preferences.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss and this is a show stopper for me :(

simonfiction
May 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hmm, Just realised everything works fine when I specify ALSA as my playback device. I'm assuming this is to do with PulseAudio issues I keep hearing about. Is it a case of applications attempting to use ALSA when it should be using PulseAudio? Is there any easy way to fix this without switching back to ALSA?

sgreddin
May 27th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I had the same issue. I use Rhythmbox and flash wouldn't play at the same time as my player. Also, even after restarting both Firefox and Rhythmbox, Rhythmbox would simply not play. But i fixed it by going System> Prefernces> Sound, switched Sound Events, Music and Movies, and Audio Conferencing to PulseAudio Sound server. You may need to only swithc Music and Movies, but i ytypically go for overkill to make sure it works. Next, Alt+F2 and type "killall pulseaudio". At this point my computer slowed down, froze for a few moments, and then resumed. It still wouldn't play from Rhythmbox but i simply rextarted the computer, and now I have simultaneous audio and no freezing :D
Hope this helps!