PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Touchpad Configuration Problem

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Hi, I orginally was running Ubuntu 8.04 (64bit) and converted it to Kubuntu 8.04 (Not sure if it is still 64bit version) after i did i found that there is no links or seemly controls for the touchpad. I went into adept and installed the "Touchpad" app which was to suppose to let me configure the touchpad but i can't find anyway to access it! Yes i tried looking in System Settings > Keyboard & Mouse as well as all through the menus.

Whats going on? How can i access it?

roma2
May 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
which synaptics touchpad driver are you using? Check if you have xserver-xorg-input-synaptics installed and that the driver is loading in your xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
EndSection

A synaptics touchpad on most laptops should have been detected and configured automatically for you. What kind of laptop are you using?

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Dell Latitude D530. The touchpad works, there just seems to be no way to configure it. Also that entry is there.

Zorael
May 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
See http://qsynaptics.sourceforge.net.

lswest
May 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
also, to run the program you seem to have "lost" try typing its name in the Konsole.

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
See http://qsynaptics.sourceforge.net.

Ok...So what should i download from there and how do i install it?

also, to run the program you seem to have "lost" try typing its name in the Konsole.

I don't know what its actual name is. I type Touchpad and it says something like bash not found or something.

Zorael
May 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM
Ok...So what should i download from there and how do i install it?
Well, no, I was mostly referring to how updates to X broke things and that he stopped developing it.

Lacking a front-end, you could try to do things manually. Make sure to enable the "SHMConfig" option in that inputdevice section in your xorg.conf.

Option "SHMConfig" "on"
See the man-page for synaptics to see which options are available. Again, I don't think most/many will work.

To apply a new setting, use the synclient command; synclient Option=value. You can also add these as options in your xorg.conf if they're something you consistently want.

Finally, the "Touchpad" program you're mentioning is likely gsynaptics, ksynaptics or qsynaptics. I'm unsure as to how well they work nowadays.

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Sorry don't know what synclient is nor do i know how to get to it. x.x Program wise synaptic's package manager doesn't list such "synclient" when i search for it. All that comes up is xserver-xorg-input-synaptics which has been installed sense even before i converted from Ubuntu.

Also SHMConfig remains disabled it seems:

(In Konsole)
<removed>:/etc/X11$ sudo synclient Option=value
[sudo] password for <removed>
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?
<removed>:/etc/X11$ synclient Option=value
Can't access shared memory area. SHMConfig disabled?

(<removed> = removed info that was removed from post for the sake of secuirty)

I have the SHMConfig Option set to on then changed to true to see if it helped any. Nothing.

Zorael
May 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
And you did restart X after changing said xorg.conf file, right? I just tried it and it worked for me, at least.

zorael@sunspire:~$ synclient lala=whee
Unknown parameter lala
<note: no mention of SHMConfig>

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
EndSection

As for available options, you can read the man-page over at http://linux.die.net/man/5/synaptics. "Options=value" was merely an example. :>

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 06:03 PM
oops I thought all that was needed was logout... I'll try that first >.<

Well that enabled SHMConfig

I went to that man page you listed and the commands work. I was able to disable the tap click as well as the touch pad's scroll thing using synclient Touchpad=2 command. Thanks you for your help! Even if i don't have a graphical interface to adjust touchpad at least i have some way to do it. :)

roma2
May 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Dell Latitude D530. The touchpad works, there just seems to be no way to configure it. Also that entry is there.

My bad, I misunderstood your post.

MasterNetra
May 3rd, 2008, 11:33 PM
ack.. I finally figure how to install TouchFreeze only to find it doesn't have any effect save for disabling the quick-fix solution "synclient TouchpadOff=2" >.>