PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] On access virus scanner

Skylive
May 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Hi,

I have read the threads and I do know how safe linux is against viruses. However, I was wondering if there is an on-access virus scanner for linux. I have ClamAV, but from what I can see, it doesn't have an active scanner, and I can't find an antivirus software that has one for linux.

I do torrenting sometimes, and just a few days ago, I installed firestarter and was looking through the active connections when I saw a connection that has a weird service name to it, and googling it shows that it was a trojan due to the fact that it ran on port 1999 which firestarter had also shown. Hence I believe that even though it may be a false alarm, I think i would rather have the protecting just in case.

brian_p
May 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Hi,

I have read the threads and I do know how safe linux is against viruses. However, I was wondering if there is an on-access virus scanner for linux. I have ClamAV, but from what I can see, it doesn't have an active scanner, and I can't find an antivirus software that has one for linux.

I do torrenting sometimes, and just a few days ago, I installed firestarter and was looking through the active connections when I saw a connection that has a weird service name to it, and googling it shows that it was a trojan due to the fact that it ran on port 1999 which firestarter had also shown. Hence I believe that even though it may be a false alarm, I think i would rather have the protecting just in case.

Pull yourself together. Reread the threads. Understand what they are telling you and don't panic. And next time make a note of any 'weird' services you come across.