PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost sound on Vostro 1200

Jfrench
May 3rd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hello there, upgraded to Hardy when it was released, decided to install 64bit version, everything worked flawlessly on my Vostro 1200 laptop. When I installed the sound worked along with everything else, but the sound has seemed to have stopped working completely, I can't figure out why.

It is a HDA Intel Chip. Please post if you have any ideas.

locky28
May 4th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Same here on my Inspiron 1420, just stopped working.

It was kind of after I let totem install a codec to play an mp4 file so I'll try and get rid of that codec and see how i go.

Jfrench
May 4th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Let me know how that goes, I don't recall if the sound stopped working after I installed a codec. I might have not noticed until some time after.

locky28
May 5th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Couldn't find the codec I installed :(

Jfrench
May 5th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I have fixed my audio.
All I did was

Into the terminal type, the following to see if your sound card is detected.

find /lib/modules/`uname -r` | grep snd

If you didn't see your sound card displayed try the following.

sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r`

You may need to restart, I didn't tho :P.

I didn't try this to being with because I thought it was a different issue since it was working to begin with

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

This was very helpful.

locky28
May 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Well I ended up reinstalling as it was a fresh build of 8.04 anyway and no luck. I tried your suggestion jfrench and still no result.

The thing I just noticed though, is when I dual boot into XP theres no sound in that either.

Now on the weekend I went to a LAN and was gaming all day from my XP partition with some Zalman 5.1ch headphones set up for surround sound plugged into the 3 ports on the front of my lappy. Now whenever I set the XP settings back to laptop speakers then restart it's always set on 5.1ch when I check the settings again in XP :S

Any ideas? I've had a look on google but I'm not really sure what to search for.

I'm running 32 bit 8.04 btw.

locky28
May 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Ended up being a shorted out headphone port. Fixed it by just plugging in and unplugging my headphones real quick in each port.