PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Basic questions re: MacBook Air & Superdrive

Brightbelt
May 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Hi,
I'm considering installing Ubuntu on my Macbook Air, and I just have a couple of really basic questions:

1- Because of the Intel chip, I'm assuming that I can install using the regular Ubuntu ISO CD and that no special version of Ubuntu is needed here for apple etc...right?

2- Does anyone know whether there's been any problems using the Macbook Air USB Superdrive with Ubuntu? (I'll use it to install Ubuntu anyways...) Any possibility on using Apples remote wireless install function with Ubuntu?

I've read ahead and I know some of what I'll need to do to get wireless working and the touchpad etc.

Many Thanks for any tips & pointers,....Frank B.

cyberdork33
May 3rd, 2008, 03:29 PM
1- Because of the Intel chip, I'm assuming that I can install using the regular Ubuntu ISO CD and that no special version of Ubuntu is needed here for apple etc...right?that is correct, but you do need to decide if you would like the 64bit install or the normal 32bit version. Pros and Cons here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765428

2- Does anyone know whether there's been any problems using the Macbook Air USB Superdrive with Ubuntu? (I'll use it to install Ubuntu anyways...) Any possibility on using Apples remote wireless install function with Ubuntu?
external drive should work fine to install ubuntu. I would guess that the remote drive thing won't work, but if you are able to test that and report back, I am sure that it will help several people.

Brightbelt
May 3rd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks Cyber...I'd go with 32-bit for sure - I know that much. It justs seems to go more smoothly all the way around.

It's possible that the remote install function might work since it really depends upon software being installed on another computer; the macbook air just accepts a program install wirelessly. But that's still very uncertain as you correctly pointed out...

I must admit that I do sometimes agree with the logic of asking: Why do this when you have mac OS X?

But there might be a logic here - Ubuntu is nimble and light on its feet as an OS, at least compared to Leopard...just as the macbook air (MBA) is very light and portable. Plus, I am guessing that the MBA might run Ubuntu a LOT faster than Leopard. There are times when Leopard and the MBA is quite sluggish, especially when I'm first beginning to browse on Firefox right after booting.

Thanks again, Frank B.