PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Frustration

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi All,

Normal boot, normal login then white screen with no response or locked up. Please Help!

Thanks Kevin

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 02:33 PM
incorrect video driver or resolution? heat issues?

which version of Ubuntu did you install?

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
incorrect video driver or resolution? heat issues?

which version of Ubuntu did you install?

Hardy,

Gustsy worked fine.

Thanks

Here cut and paste from another no response thread.

just completed fresh hardy install and all went fine. Very first boot was normal login followed by white screen and stop or freezing. Not total lockup but close. (Still see HD light blinking now and again.)

The first install was clean install with empty partition and same thing. Normal login then screen goes white.

The most recent install is where I reformatted the partition clean again and installed Gutsy and and then last night upgraded to Hardy through update manager. Same thing in both scenarios and that is "Gnome freezes" right after login.

Whats so different between Gutsy and Hardy?

Also strange is the live CD works perfect.

Box is:
Lenovo thinkpad T60 with Intel 945GM express video.
2 gig mem
100 GM HD partitioned 50% with 8.04 the other half with XP Pro
Wireless LAN is Intel
Wired LAN is also Intel I believe.

Anyway Help... I miss my Ubuntu please help.

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
did it give any errors when you were doing the upgrade? what video card do you have and were you using the restricted drivers?

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
did it give any errors when you were doing the upgrade? what video card do you have and were you using the restricted drivers?

Nope,

Both clean install of hardy and upgraded version have same results. No Video restricted driver use only network card is using an restricted driver. How do I change the video driver with no boot?

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
try booting to CLI and running

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 02:45 PM

CLI?

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
CLI?

Not sure what you mean by boot to CLI.

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
CLI would be the command line with no graphics. I think when you boot you should have an option of command line only or it might be called safe mode.

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 03:00 PM
Not sure what you mean by boot to CLI.

Command Line Interface.

Press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to take you to your second screen, which is a CLI.

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 03:01 PM
if he's having trouble logging in, would that still work?

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
OK Once I am in X server what would you suggest I do at that point?

Many thanks for your help.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
if he's having trouble logging in, would that still work?

No trouble logging in at all. Thats whats strange.

GUI at login just turns white at password completion or next screen.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
No trouble logging in at all. Thats whats strange.

GUI at login just turns white at password completion or next screen.

I think the problem is with Gnome in Hardy more than a video problem but only using Ubuntu now for about a year so not sure of behind the scenes of Linux.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 03:49 PM
push

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 03:51 PM
if you can get into the command line you could always try to install KDE and see if your theory is correct

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
if you can get into the command line you could always try to install KDE and see if your theory is correct

Thanks

Will KDE be recognized in command line? or will Live CD access be unnecessary?

K

Wim Sturkenboom
May 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
pushWhy? You did not give feedback on the suggested solution in post #7 (reconfigure)

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
would be

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

from a command line but I think you should try to reconfigure the xserver first because all the desktops use the same basic info

CREEPING DEATH
May 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

IIRC that command doesn't do much with the new(er) X.

CD

halitech
May 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
could have sworn that was the command I used last night when I changed monitors but I'm also still in gutsy so maybe it doesn't work in Hardy

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
While in X Server noticed it seemed to be more interested in my keyboard layout then video. Not sure what was supposed to do in X service config. Also it was very dos like interface. Still have same white screen problem.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM
could have sworn that was the command I used last night when I changed monitors but I'm also still in gutsy so maybe it doesn't work in Hardy

Not sure what you mean. I ran X Server at command prompt again. Still not sure what I am supposed to do in X server. I did make sure English language and US keyboard but not sure what else I needs to be done in there.

Please elaborate. Thanks

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 05:46 PM

How do I install KDE from command prompt?

raydeen
May 3rd, 2008, 05:50 PM
How do I install KDE from command prompt?

sudo apt-get update

I've done this in the past when Gnome took a dive due to video driver issues. You'll at least be able to get into a GUI and get some work done or more easily fix your problems.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
sudo apt-get update

I've done this in the past when Gnome took a dive due to video driver issues. You'll at least be able to get into a GUI and get some work done or more easily fix your problems.

GREAT! Going to try this now and THANKS!!!

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 06:36 PM
sudo apt-get update

I get errors in command line when sude apt-get update and sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop.

Failed to fetch http://???
and Could not resolve errors

One thing I noticed was the fail safe gnome option which makes the screen turn black instead of white.

So confused as to what is so different between gutsy gibbons which worked and Hardy Heron which doesn't. Amazing how tough to fix this has been.

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Seems like your only option is to try doing that with a Kubuntu cd in your drive. It looks like your CLI doesnt have internet access, which is very strange.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 06:47 PM
Seems like your only option is to try doing that with a Kubuntu cd in your drive. It looks like your CLI doesnt have internet access, which is very strange.

Is Kubuntu cd different then the Ubuntu 8.04 live CD?

Thought no internet access was problem. Wired connection too.

Also strange is why the Hardy live CD does allow boot to normal gnome.

Thanks for your help

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah there's a different CD for Kubuntu.

If the problem goes away with the LiveCD, i wonder is there a way to 'export' the LiveCD's XOrg settings and use them with your normal installation?

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
I guess as a last chance question to downloading another 700mb file of another option available?

Another question is what is different as to why the Hardy live CD works and Hardy gives the white screen when installed?

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 06:59 PM
I guess as a last chance question to downloading another 700mb file of another option available?

Another question is what is different as to why the Hardy live CD works and Hardy gives the white screen when installed?

Presumably when installing it decided to give you what it thought were good specific settings for your system rather than the default from the LiveCD. Thats why I suggested there might be some way of using the settings the LiveCD does.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Presumably when installing it decided to give you what it thought were good specific settings for your system rather than the default from the LiveCD. Thats why I suggested there might be some way of using the settings the LiveCD does.

Exporting settings one by one from live CD might at least help me figure out where to start. wonder if this could be realistically performed.

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
Exporting settings one by one from live CD might at least help me figure out where to start. wonder if this could be realistically performed.

I've never messed with the settings on the LiveCD before but you could try opening a terminal and entering

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which does the job in a normal install.

beech2000
May 3rd, 2008, 08:22 PM
I've never messed with the settings on the LiveCD before but you could try opening a terminal and entering

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

which does the job in a normal install.

Copy and pasted from live cd terminal.

Do I enter info in same way as retrieved from live cd?

GavinZac
May 3rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Copy and pasted from live cd terminal.

Do I enter info in same way as retrieved from live cd?

when you're using the LiveCD, does the hard drive mount? If so, yes, you can open it from the last command i gave you, then save it to the corresponding location on the mounted drive.

I'm going to use this smiley for the first time as its the first time I'm very interested to see if the solution works :popcorn: :)