PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help ! how to create local network in btw ubuntu - suse

ishwar
May 3rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Help needed pls

sys confit - laptop with unbuntu , winxp home edition dual boot
desktop - Suse linux 10.3 , connected to my external hard disk for media purposes, but boots from internal HD..

i am connecting to internet via wired router.

so far: installed samba successfull in suse and establishes share between suse and winxp! and able to see my winxp laptop on suse and download files to suse!
problem 1. i cant see the suse in my workgroup under winxp

problem 2: no idea how to share files between ubuntu and suse!!

pls give me suggestions

thanx in advance

eswar:confused:

Monicker
May 3rd, 2008, 02:07 PM
How do you want to "network" the 2 computers? Are you talking about sharing files between them? Remote control of one from the other?

ishwar
May 3rd, 2008, 04:06 PM
hi,,
i want to share files in between them.. the desktop is also connected to a external hardisk,, my final aim is to put that on a share so both computers can use the disk space( media files) .. so i m trying to share some folders in between these two computers first and i will go to the next level.. and as i said earlier these two computers are connected via router.. which also has got its own fire wall..i have seen options for enabling virtual network.. etc.. but i dont know what to do !!

thanx for the reply

ishwar

ishwar
May 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM
hi moniker,

i have finally made my setup in suse following this wonderful video guide!!!!

http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=LinuxCadieuxSMB&fromSeriesID=19

but i dont know what to do to make it work in ubuntu.. and what are the settings i need!!!!

pls help!!!!!!:confused:

ishwar