PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What are the Ubuntu hardware requirements

Bigtime_Scrub
May 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Im running Ubuntu Live on an older machine and I was wondering what the hardware requirements are because its running a little slow.

I have a 2.0 Ghz processor, 512 MB RAM, and a 40 GIG HD.

tamoneya
May 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
you should be fine especially if you disable compiz and go for metacity. If that still doesnt do it for you, you should look into xubuntu which used xfce instead of gnome.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
That should be easily sufficient for ubuntu/kubuntu. Try fluxbuntu if you want the mad speed. ;]

Bigtime_Scrub
May 3rd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ive heard when running from a live CD it will run a more sluggish than when fully installed. If thats the case it should be fine then right?

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
Of course. The live cd is a lot slower. It will run fine I am sure. I have another comp weaker than that it runs fine.

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 07:32 AM
Im running Ubuntu Live on an older machine and I was wondering what the hardware requirements are because its running a little slow.

That system should work perfectly fine, after you install. Remember that the LiveCD is a lot, lot slower than the installed system.

Canis familiaris
May 3rd, 2008, 07:33 AM

It is a good enough configuration for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. What is your graphics card anyway?
My old comp was a Pentium III with 256 MB RAM and Ubuntu ran fairly decently.

Bigtime_Scrub
May 3rd, 2008, 07:44 AM
It is a good enough configuration for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. What is your graphics card anyway?
My old comp was a Pentium III with 256 MB RAM and Ubuntu ran fairly decently.

RADEON 9700 PRO

Paqman
May 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
RADEON 9700 PRO

No probs. I used to get good desktop effects from an old Radeon 9200.