PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] build for Kubuntu 8.04 KDE4?

superbenny
May 3rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Here's my budget build...and first build ever.

I'm looking to run Kubutnu 8.04 w/ KDE4 64-bit, but I'm still open to persuasion to anything other than Gobuntu...sorry I just don't like Google.

Please point out what ever obvious mistakes I'm sure I made.

Thanks!
-superbenny

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=7485191&WishListTitle=Computer

superbenny
May 6th, 2008, 12:57 AM
think I could get some response?

ldrn
May 6th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Nice build idea you have there. :) That all looks good to me. A quick google on the wifi showed some people using ndiswrapper, but you probably knew that already.

Just so you know, KDE4 on Kubuntu is 4.0 and not all the way there yet. You'll need to run KDE3's kwifimanager, for instance, and some things like moving widgets in your panel don't quite work.

It's very nice, though, aside from all its quirks. It's not like you can't change to something else if you don't like it, either, so go for it.

superbenny
May 6th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Awesome thanks!
no, I wasn't aware of the ndis wrapper thing, but I guess I would have realised it the second I installed everything.

And yes, I'm aware of all the little quirks with KDE4, and actually I was thinking about using Openbox if KDE4 just annoyed me.
thanks.

ldrn
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Yep, probably would have! It might be those threads were old, though... anyway, I've had great luck with ndiswrapper in the Hardy.

If you do go the OpenBox route, you can still use all the KDE4 apps with another DE... when you install yakuake-kde4, it creates a yakuake-kde4 script that lets you launch it from anywhere, and you can copy and modify that to launch any KDE4 program. (I use XFCE on one my machines, but I like the new krunner... the combo works great!)

edm1
May 6th, 2008, 10:36 PM
btw. gobuntu has zero to do with google. it is a version of ubuntu consisting of entirely free (as in speech) software.

superbenny
May 19th, 2008, 10:02 PM
btw. gobuntu has zero to do with google. it is a version of ubuntu consisting of entirely free (as in speech) software.
relevance?

ldrn
May 20th, 2008, 03:40 AM
I'm still open to persuasion to anything other than Gobuntu...sorry I just don't like Google.^ He was responding to this.

superbenny
May 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
oh right...i completely forgot about that
and yes, after him saying that, I looked it up...I don't know what made me say it the first time...I don't remember where I saw it, but I know i saw something based solely off of google apps...hmm

ldrn
May 20th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Probably that whole gOS thing... that's based on Ubuntu and is google-focused. They're on the cloudbooks and stuff. :)

superbenny
May 21st, 2008, 04:40 AM
Probably that whole gOS thing... that's based on Ubuntu and is google-focused. They're on the cloudbooks and stuff. :)
haha gochya...yea that sounds right