PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GTK beginners question - overwriting in a text view

anewguy
May 3rd, 2008, 04:11 AM
I have gotten some great help here getting to at least having a functional program, but need a little more help yet. I have a text view which I write one line at a time to with newlines, so I guess in this case they are called paragraphs. On some of the lines, I need to be able to "overwrite" them with the next line, but leave the preceeding buffer alone. Is there a way to back up to start of paragraph?

Thanks in advance!!:)

EDIT: Forgot to include, here's the test code I'm trying. I'm trying to backspace over the text I've written after 9 lines (actually paragraphs in a text view since they each had a newline at the end) and just keep writing over the same line/paragraph. The result of this code is no backspacing - just appending data to the line. I thought that iter was supposed to be automatically reset when you do the call for backspace, so I have to assume that being so darn rusty in C that I'm doing something extremely stupid!!

:)
int charcount =0;
. Beginning of a processing loop here
. other stuff happens here but no gtk calls and nothing affecting
. linenum, iter, texttoshow or charcount
sprintf(texttoshow,"At download: %d", linenum++);
if (linenum <10)
{
strcat(texttoshow, "\n");
}
else
{
while (charcount > 0)
{
gtk_text_buffer_backspace ( buffer,
&iter,
FALSE,
FALSE);
charcount--;
}
* solved by adding the below to actually ERASE the buffer to end
gtk_text_buffer_get_end_iter(buffer, &iter_end );
gtk_text_buffer_delete(buffer, &iter,&iter_end );
charcount = strlen(texttoshow);

* end of changes to make it work

charcount = strlen(texttoshow);
}

gtk_text_buffer_insert(buffer, &iter, texttoshow , -1);

. end of a processing loop here

anewguy
May 3rd, 2008, 07:36 AM
Unless you see something obviously wrong above, please ignor for now. It just dawned on me in my testing that I only go through this entire routine 1 time for each button press, so the charcount is always 0 at the start. I need to incorporate a loop in the testing so that it really duplicates what I need to do real-world.

Sorry!!