PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Please help me with wireless setup

Xalelydo
May 3rd, 2008, 03:47 AM
I am a newbie to Ubuntu (and am starting with 8.04) and have no idea what to do or where to go in order to set up my computer's built in Atheros wireless B/G Card.

I am running a dual boot of vista and ubuntu now and just need help. I would love to get my wireless working and functional so that I am able to use my laptop on both boots where there is wireless signal, but right now I am losing hope and focus.

Where do I start? What is a kernal? How do I get to a kernal, or find where to start making one? Can someone please help me? This is so confusing to me and I have no idea what I am doing. Any help is GREATLY appreciated in EVERY way!

I can read here, but any helpful advice and lead throughs sent to nightstride@gmail.com would be a GOD SEND! :)

Thanks,
Xale

Paris Heng
May 3rd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I am a newbie to Ubuntu (and am starting with 8.04) and have no idea what to do or where to go in order to set up my computer's built in Atheros wireless B/G Card.

I am running a dual boot of vista and ubuntu now and just need help. I would love to get my wireless working and functional so that I am able to use my laptop on both boots where there is wireless signal, but right now I am losing hope and focus.

Where do I start? What is a kernal? How do I get to a kernal, or find where to start making one? Can someone please help me? This is so confusing to me and I have no idea what I am doing. Any help is GREATLY appreciated in EVERY way!

I can read here, but any helpful advice and lead throughs sent to nightstride@gmail.com would be a GOD SEND! :)

Thanks,
Xale

For Atheros wireless B/G Card, just use the Madwifi driver. Compile it then you will able to connect to the internet. Alos, setup your network configuration properly.