PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Earth on Ubuntu 8.04

Mario RŠez
May 3rd, 2008, 02:53 AM
Hello Dear Ubunters:

I installed Ubuntu today after a decade of suffering under Windows.

Now, how do I install Google Earth on Ubuntu 8.04?
I downloaded GoogleEarthLinux.bin from the Google Earth Homepage but really don't have any idea of what to do next.
The file is on my desktop staring at me...

What do I do?

tjwoosta
May 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
if i were you id just get it from the repository

go to System-Administration-synaptic package manager then search googleearth

just mark it with a check and click apply
this will do everything automatically for you

damis648
May 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
try

cd desktop
sudo sh ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
in terminal.
i doubt this would work but try it anyway

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM
just type this into a terminal (applications - accessories - terminal):

cd Desktop

and then

sh GoogleEarthLinux.bin

NightwishFan
This way will work with only a few commands. ;]
You need the medibuntu repo. I will supply howto in one min bear with me ;]

step one: copy paste this command

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
step two: copy paste this command

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update
step three: copy paste this command

sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3
when installed just press alt+f2 and type googleearth or find it under internet in the menu

enjoy!

damis648
o yes i forgot googleeath is in the repos... use that

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:00 AM
Edit: here is a rally good guide:

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2007/11/28/how-to-install-google-earth-in-ubuntu/

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:01 AM
Forget everything. Just type this into the terminal:

sudo apt-get install googleearth

Thats it!

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:02 AM
Whoops. My bad, its actually this:

sudo apt-get install googleearth-package

Thats it!

tjwoosta
May 3rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
well if you want the newest version of google earth you would need the medibuntu repository but if you dont care as long as it works you dont need medibuntu

here is a guide to adding medibuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
OH yeah, thats right, I forgot to mention you need the medibuntu repos before you can install.

This is what you need to do, step by step.

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3

Ignore my previous posts.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Sorry I had to edit my how to so much its final now that method will work. I just tested on Kubuntu. (remember to accept the license) also when you get a y/n question answer y.

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:09 AM
OH yeah, thats right, I forgot to mention you need the medibuntu repos before you can install.

sudo apt-get install googleearth

Ignore my previous posts.

Yepp. Thats the final method, dont do anything else.

Mario RŠez
May 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Hello Dear Ubunters:

I downloaded GoogleEarthLinux.bin from the Google Earth Homepage but really don't have any idea of what to do next.

What do I do?

Ok, I did it (Forgot to mention that I use the desktop in Spanish where Aplications is Aplicaciones, Accesories is Accesorios, Terminal is Terminal but °Desktop is Escritorio.

It did all the rest by itself but now it seems like does not recognize my graphic card. I will post details when I have them.

Thanks a lot.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 03:13 AM
Follow mine or splicers howtos (they are exactly alike except use googleearth-4.3)
final command is: sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3

It should work right then hopefully. When I use the sh ./googleearth.bin method it fails to log into the server.

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
No the command is: sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3
Damn, hes right. The googleearth by itself only installs 4.2, you should run googleearth-4.3

I have updated my instruction post.

Thanks nightwish for that

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
np
Google earth 4.3 is a world away from the previous version trust me. It even has weather and such now. Googleearth 5 will like be a 3d existence at this rate :D :popcorn:

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
np
Google earth 4.3 is a world away from the previous version trust me. :popcorn:

What is the difference?

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 03:19 AM
I edited, also there is street views which are like panoramas, they have them all over my area. (well all of that might have been in 4.2 actually) lol

Last one I used before 4.3 was way less full featured.

Mario RŠez
May 3rd, 2008, 03:56 AM
Ok, I did it (Forgot to mention that I use the desktop in Spanish where Aplications is Aplicaciones, Accesories is Accesorios, Terminal is Terminal but °Desktop is Escritorio.

It did all the rest by itself but now it seems like does not recognize my graphic card. I will post details when I have them.

Thanks a lot.

OK, I did it and now I am waiting...A screen showing a Terms Acceptance Page appeared and there was no way to accept it.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Press tab to change to different options and enter to select.

Mario RŠez
May 3rd, 2008, 04:28 AM
OK, I did it and now I am waiting...A screen showing a Terms Acceptance Page appeared and there was no way to accept it.

I must have spoiled something while installing, now the prompt shows this message:

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.

How do I dpkg --configure -a? It requests for superuser privileges.

NightwishFan
May 3rd, 2008, 04:46 AM
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Then try the install again if googleearth is not installed.

(perhaps use synaptic for graphical method of install, rememeber to check 'googleearth-4.3' and not 'googleearth')

stinger30au
May 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM

sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3Ignore my previous posts.

awesome , thanks
worked for me!

iSplicer
May 3rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
awesome , thanks
worked for me!

Happy to help a fellow Aussie out =)

captkit
May 3rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
Fellow Google Earth fans:

I followed this technique up hill and down dale--finally got it installed, went to the apps menu, clicked on GE--nothing--just nothing. It was my 8th or 9th try in 3 versions of ubu.
For those of you who have lost hope as I have, I offer a workaround. Enter "houses for sale" in Google > open Google's search > click on satellite on the map > zoom out. You won't get the north pole, but most of the world is there.

arpakette
May 4th, 2008, 05:49 PM
I successfully installed 4.3 on Hardy following the most uptodate isplicer/nightwish instructions - thank you very much guys, great howto - with no trouble. GE suggested I update my video driver for faster response, so I Used System|Administration|Hardware Drivers and installed the ATI accelerated graphics card. That was a wonderful upgrade for everything else. My 24" Samsung finally displayed realistically, but GE went nuts. What I could see was great, but the screen blinked wildly and I couldn't control anything. Does anyone know what happened? Is there a resolution to my resolution? TIA

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM
I successfully installed 4.3 on Hardy following the most uptodate isplicer/nightwish instructions - thank you very much guys, great howto - with no trouble. GE suggested I update my video driver for faster response, so I Used System|Administration|Hardware Drivers and installed the ATI accelerated graphics card. That was a wonderful upgrade for everything else. My 24" Samsung finally displayed realistically, but GE went nuts. What I could see was great, but the screen blinked wildly and I couldn't control anything. Does anyone know what happened? Is there a resolution to my resolution? TIA

Try to turn off the Desktop effects. Right click on the desktop to access the menu.

webcoded612
May 4th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Try to turn off the Desktop effects. Right click on the desktop to access the menu.

Worked like a charm for me. GE bugged like crazy on me, too...blinking and flickering. Turned off desktop effects (which kind of sucks that I have to have a boring desktop to use GE, but oh well) and all is well.

TY! :)

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Don't forget to click on the little medal next to the "quote" button then ;)

arpakette
May 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Thankyou 8thstar, works fine now. How do you know that stuff?

the8thstar
May 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I'm just a normal human being, like you :) I learnt what I know with the help of the good people on these forums. I'm more advanced than you, but you'll get there in no time!

mitchauer
May 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
just type this into a terminal (applications - accessories - terminal):

and then
Thank you for the Google Earth install info

ubername
May 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Odd problem here:

I have installed GE from both the repositories and from the .bin file.

When I first run it from the .bin file, all is OK. However when I close it and restart it I get the application window showing with a load of stars (I suppose) but no globe

With the repository version it doesn't even work first time. (i.e. I get the app window but no globe)

It's like it's not connecting to a server with the google earth data on it (at least that is my current analysis)

Can anyone help?

TIA

Twizzle
May 6th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I got exactly the same - no earth. I removed it and re installed and now I get a white box when I run Google Earth! Nothing at all :confused:

NightwishFan
May 6th, 2008, 08:52 PM
That happens to me when I install with the bin, it will not log in. When I install from repos it works perfectly.

BGThree
May 7th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I originally installed 4.3 but it flickered like crazy and basically wouldn't work, even with desktop effects turned off. I installed 4.2 and it works like a charm.

Is my computer too old/slow to run 4.3 or is there another problem?

Intel Centrino Duo, 2 gigs RAM, 945GM/GMS 943/940GML integrated graphics controller

Do you guys need more info from me (please tell me what), or should I be able/not be able to run Google Earth 4.3?

TunaCanTommy
May 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I too am playing around with getting GE 4.3 installed. I'm running Hardy on a desktop with a NVIDIA 6200 graphics card. I started by downloading the new version of of Google Earth (v4.3) and installed it using the .bin file. But it's not working right . . all I get is a 'star-field'. I can rotate the star-field but the Earth View won't load. I think the problem is I'm not linking to the GE server.
After reading all the helpful advice in this thread what I'd like to do is uninstall the .bin version and install via the repositories.
Long post for maybe a simple answer . . . How do I uninstall the .bin version ? ? :confused:
I'd like to clean it all out and reinstall according to the posts in this thread.
Thanks !!

stchman
May 7th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hello Dear Ubunters:

What do I do?

Googleearth is in the Medibuntu repos.

http://www.medibuntu.org

krcabrer
May 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Hello:

I try with mithubuntu repos.
But it works only the 4.2 version.
I got AMD64 Ubuntu 8.04 for AMD64.

When I install from the bin... it works only the first time.

Should I use sudo to execute GE? always?

Thank you for your help.

Kenneth

Solrac924
May 8th, 2008, 10:21 PM
i can't get it going. i've been trying for 2 days now.
i've tried installing it by entering those 3 lines in the terminal (on page#3 of this thread). i've also tried using the synaptic package manager. everytime i click on the Google Earth icon, it results in the monitor blacking out, & then the system rebooting. :confused:

i've downloaded .bin file from Google. i'm gonna trying installing it using the instructions given here.

BGThree
May 9th, 2008, 06:34 AM
I originally installed 4.3 but it flickered like crazy and basically wouldn't work, even with desktop effects turned off. I installed 4.2 and it works like a charm.

Is my computer too old/slow to run 4.3 or is there another problem?

Intel Centrino Duo, 2 gigs RAM, 945GM/GMS 943/940GML integrated graphics controller

Do you guys need more info from me (please tell me what), or should I be able/not be able to run Google Earth 4.3?

I've figured out my problem, sort of -

All I did was disable "atmosphere" in the view menu of GE. It went from PAINFULLY slow to as fast as any other GE version I've ever used on Windows (new Ubuntu user).

I installed 4.3 in my XP partition and it worked there, but now I realize that atmosphere was defaulted OFF in XP and defaulted ON in Linux. I'll be curious to see if GE4.3 runs smooth in XP with atmosphere on, if I ever boot into Windows again!:)

TunaCanTommy
May 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Some info from a Google Earth discussion forum:

"Google Earth 4.3 only works in Linux on machines with processors
that support SSE2. This means a P4, A64, or greater is now required."

http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/e77715780fd5ede5#

So, if your system/CPU can't support 4.3 you need to stay with 4.2.

To find out if you system/CPU will support GE 4.3 type cat /proc/cpuinfo at the command line in terminal. In the "flags" section you'll see things like "fpu mmx". Look for an "sse2" - if your processor has it, it'll be in that list.

wombil
May 9th, 2008, 11:00 PM
hey guys,
I am trying to install google earth to heron 8.04 via NightwishFan's instructions and stalled at the last stage.[I think]
Trying to do this stage again I get this message,

oigle@oigle-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
oigle@oigle-desktop:~$ dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
oigle@oigle-desktop:~$

Where do I go from here? I tried entering my password at the end and got the same message that I have to be superuser.How do I do that?
Thankyou.

TunaCanTommy
May 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Just put sudo in front of "dpkg --configure -a"

sudo dpkg --configure -a

The "sudo" give you "superuser-privilege" . . .

wombil
May 10th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Thanks tommy,
After I type in"sudo dpkg --configure -a " the terminal asks for my password but will not accept any text.I think it's getting close but just will not accept anything after password

tjwoosta
May 10th, 2008, 06:23 AM
when typing your password in the terminal it will never show what you are typing, it wont even show theese things *** (you just have to type it anyway and hope its right then hit enter)

Cpuboye11
May 11th, 2008, 01:48 AM
never mind!

kystorms
May 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Some info from a Google Earth discussion forum:

"Google Earth 4.3 only works in Linux on machines with processors
that support SSE2. This means a P4, A64, or greater is now required."

http://groups.google.com/group/earth-linux/browse_thread/thread/e77715780fd5ede5#

So, if your system/CPU can't support 4.3 you need to stay with 4.2.

To find out if you system/CPU will support GE 4.3 type cat /proc/cpuinfo at the command line in terminal. In the "flags" section you'll see things like "fpu mmx". Look for an "sse2" - if your processor has it, it'll be in that list.

okay, see on the google help forum for google earth that there is a new download??? that is workable for those of us who do not have sse2, but how do we uninstall the version we got from the mediubuntu repos?

thanks for any help

TunaCanTommy
May 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM
okay, see on the google help forum for google earth that there is a new download??? that is workable for those of us who do not have sse2, but how do we uninstall the version we got from the mediubuntu repos?

thanks for any help

@kystorms . .
If you installed it using synaptic, you remove it using synaptic.

I you used "sudo apt-get install googleearth-4.3" to install it, to uninstall it you type "sudo apt-get autoremove googleearth-4.3".

The "new" version of Google Earth mentioned in the forum is Version 4.2. It's a perfectly good version of Google Earth and runs fine on my machine running Ubuntu Hardy and NOT SSE2. If you need help getting it installed look at some previous posts in this thread.

Slackpacker
May 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM
I've tried installing from both the Google binary and medibuntu, with the same result: running "googleearth" on the command line produces a segmentation fault error. Trying to start from the launcher icon does nothing, as others have noted. I've got 64-bit Hardy, cpu is an Athlon 64X dual-core 4400. I've also got an nvidia 9600GT which is running a beta driver which might produce graphical errors/crashes, but I don't think that explains this problem.
Any insight? Hoping this is just a bug with newer hardware that Google will get around to fixing...

a.v.l
May 14th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I've downloaded the 4.3 bin file from Google Earth and installed it but when going to Application> Internet > Google Earth nothing opens up.

Typing google earth in the terminal gives me the bug report below. How do I now remove the 4.3 downloaded instalation of Google Earth from my system please?

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Google Earth has crashed.
This is a bug in the program, and should never happen under normal
circumstances. A bug report and debugging data are now being written
to this text file:

/home/myname/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-F9C926C5.txt

This bug report will be sent to Google automatically next time you run
Google Earth. Its data, which contains no personal information, will help
us correct problems without bothering you further. If you would rather
this info not be transmitted, please delete the above file before running
the program again. If you want bug reports to NEVER be sent, remove the
above 'crashlogs' directory's read/write permissions.

TunaCanTommy
May 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
@a.v.l
Search the "General Help" forum for 'Uninstall Google Earth' - lot's of excellent help there. Or search for a poster called 'fakie-flip', he provided a useful tip.

mdalacu
May 22nd, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have just found a solution for the NO GLOBE problem.
Note that i have installed Google Earth from the .bin file.
Here you go : sudo googleearth :)
That simple!

NightwishFan
May 22nd, 2008, 10:12 AM
I don't think I would want to run Google Earth as root.

dppowell
May 30th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I have just found a solution for the NO GLOBE problem.
Note that i have installed Google Earth from the .bin file.
Here you go : sudo googleearth :)
That simple!

This is my experience, too. Google Earth, installed from either the Google .bin or the medibuntu package, only displays a starfield unless it's run as root. This is doubly baffling to me, because on my previous machine (running Dapper), I installed it from the .bin and used it as a normal user for quite some time.

What could have changed? I'm not comfortable running GE as root every time I want to use it.

dppowell
June 4th, 2008, 06:28 PM
/bump

manimal
June 10th, 2008, 01:40 AM
In your HOME directory, there is a ".googleearth" directory (the "." makes it hidden, but it should be there). Try deleting this directory (it contains all your Google Earth preferences, so be careful - maybe make a backup). In a terminal, you would type:

sudo rm -rf ~/.googleearth

I think the when you run the ".bin" installer, there is a checkbox at the very end of the install process that says something like "Start Google Earth." If this is checked, it starts the application as the "root" user (since you have to use "sudo" to install the app) and creates the ".googleearth" directory with root privileges. When you run the app. without these privileges, all sorts of problems seem to occur. They should probably make the checkbox default to unchecked.

dppowell
June 11th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Thanks, Manimal--I returned to this thread to post that I found a solution elsewhere on the forums. It differs somewhat from yours but the concept is the same:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=757521&page=3

asif_1088119
October 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
i hav ubuntu 8.04 & installed google earth 5 & having this displayed whenever i try 2 run it.... p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }

"Google Earth could not write to the current cache or My Places file location. The values will be set as follows:
My Places Path: "/home/asif/.googleearth"
Cache Path: "/home/asif/.googleearth/Cache"
please som1 giv an answer

NightwishFan
October 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
You need to have read/write access to those directories. I would create them if they do not exist, and make sure you have the permissions. Did you install Google Earth correctly?

I believe you can install google earth using medibuntu. If you wish to do this, just uninstall the google earth you have, and follow the directions at the medibuntu site.

http://www.medibuntu.org/