PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CELP+ADPCM Format/s supported?

Leon945
May 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM
Hello people,
I have a quick question..
I'm thinking of buying a digital voice recorder, and it says it records in this format CELP+ADPCM.

I don't know the format/s but i just want to know if it is supported in ubuntu so i can edit the recordings with audacity?

thanks in advanced

nomeat
May 9th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Some players like Mplayer and Xine will read the ADPCM WAV format but Audacity definitely can not load them.

The Audicity wiki mentions that mplayer could decode it to a usable format for editing.
All I found is a command line module called memcoder that belongs to mplayer which is explained here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML-single/en/MPlayer.html#menc-feat-enc-libavcodec-audio-codecs-pcmadpcm

but you might need to be a software engineer to figure out the comand line to convert ADPCM WAV to standard WAV.

If some one has done it before I would also be grateful if they could post the code here.

... or another solution to convert WAV files recorded on mp3 players to an editable format.

Leon945
May 12th, 2008, 07:17 PM
there is a program called "audio converter" or something like that..

does anyone know if that program reads/converts from these formats?

ron999
May 12th, 2008, 08:34 PM
there is a program called "audio converter" or something like that..

does anyone know if that program reads/converts from these formats?
Hi
There's a package called 'SoundConverter' but I don't know whether it supports unusual codecs.

I think that ffmpeg will accept those ADPCM formats. To use it from the command line it's like this:-

ffmpeg -i <filename> outputfile.wav
There's a GUI for ffmpeg called 'Winff'. It has a pre-set 'WAV for CD'. This will maybe do what you need.
You can get Winff (Debian/Ubuntu package) from here:-http://www.winff.org/

nomeat
May 15th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks buddy

ffmpeg -i <filename> outputfile.wav

worked for me :)
It created a file about 4x larger than the original and Audacity had no problems with it.

However Winff using 'WAV for CD' gave an error 'truncated and/or corrupted file'