PDA

View Full Version : Distribution Development (in general)

felly
October 17th, 2005, 08:15 PM
To further appreciate what the Ubuntu developers do, I'd be interested in hearing the details about what's really involved in making this distribution, and perhaps distributions in general.

I know that the packages basically come from the open source world at large, but I also know that there's much more to a distribution than just a bunch of packages, I'm just a bit hazy on those details.

So here's a preliminary list of what is involved. Please fill in details and corrections to this list:

package management : creating .deb packages and checking dependencies?
installer
initialization scripts
adding new packages
coming up with good default settings for packages

anything else?

Thanks

UbuWu
October 19th, 2005, 04:31 PM
* Translations
* Lots of bugfixing

felly
October 19th, 2005, 08:36 PM
what sort of bug fixes? bug fixes to the source packages? isn't that the job of whoever's maintaining the source?

for instance, are you saying that if there were a bug in libgtk, the ubuntu developers are fixing it? if so, is it the fix merged back into the libgtk source control system? or is it a specialized version just for ubuntu?

if not, what programs are the ubuntu developers bug-bashing?

UbuWu
October 20th, 2005, 10:30 AM
what sort of bug fixes? bug fixes to the source packages? isn't that the job of whoever's maintaining the source?

Both that and problems specific to ubuntu. Also they add a lot of small improvements.

for instance, are you saying that if there were a bug in libgtk, the ubuntu developers are fixing it? if so, is it the fix merged back into the libgtk source control system? or is it a specialized version just for ubuntu?

Yes, they do that, and often the patches are sent upstream to debian and the developers of the application if they are not ubuntu-specific.

Have a look around in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com) if you like to get an idea about what bugs keep the ubuntu developers busy.

az
October 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
Launchpad.net

Bugzilla is no longer used. Malone is the bug-tracking system now and you can find it on launchpad.net.

UbuWu
October 20th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Bugzilla is no longer used. Malone is the bug-tracking system now and you can find it on launchpad.net.

That is a little premature statement, the switch to launchpad/malone hasn't been made yet. At the moment, bugzilla is still in use, although it probably won't take long anymore...

az
October 21st, 2005, 06:21 PM
For Hoary, everything in universe used Malone amd main still used bugzilla. For Breezy, everythying now uses Malone. This has been stated several time on the mailing lists.

Quote launchpad.net:

"Most Active Projects
The Ubuntu Distribution [View]

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution that emphasises ease of use and free global distribution. The project uses the Launchpad for all translation and bug tracking.
"

UbuWu
October 24th, 2005, 12:45 AM
For Hoary, everything in universe used Malone amd main still used bugzilla. For Breezy, everythying now uses Malone. This has been stated several time on the mailing lists.

Everything will use malone, but the transition hasn't happened yet (although it is now possible to file bugs against packages from main in malone). First, all bugs from bugzilla need to be transferred to malone.

http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-October/012065.html

UbuWu
October 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
#ubuntu-motu 23/10:

06:27 LaserJock is bugzilla still being used or is it completely replaced by Malone?
06:28 moyogo LaserJock: bugzilla is still being used
06:28 moyogo LaserJock: but new bugs only go to malone, i think
06:29 Lathiat the idea is to phase bugzilla out in dapper
06:29 Lathiat i think
06:29 Amaranth afaik bugzilla is still the place to go for main bugs right now
06:30 Amaranth i haven't seen a mail to the lists about using malone

az
October 24th, 2005, 06:40 PM
[QUOTE=UbuWu]Everything will use malone, but the transition hasn't happened yet (although it is now possible to file bugs against packages from main in malone). First, all bugs from bugzilla need to be transferred to malone.

[QUOTE]

You are right. As well, the "report a bug" tool in Breezy brings you to Bugzilla.

My bad.