View Full Version : [ubuntu] Several general questions about the Pangolin laptop

Luke has no name
May 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
1) Do your laptops have latches to secure the monitor shut? It doesn't look to be that way, but I'd like to confirm.

2) Do these laptops (Pangolin specifically) support default Ubuntu install? In other words, could I install Hardy 64 bit fresh on a Pangolin and get full functionality, or are there other drivers/packages needed? If so, where is that located on the web?

3) Does the webcam function correctly? Does it have correct and functioning drivers?

I will post updates to the questions, if I have any thank you for your help.

May 2nd, 2008, 11:40 AM
1) No latches, but they do stay closed very well, never had a problem with mine in the almost year I've had it.
2) It works fine with a default Ubuntu install, although system76 has their own system76 driver to tweak things, I think that it isn't needed for the Pangolin esp. for Hardy--needed a couple things for Gutsy, if I remember right. Search for system76 driver here or in the system 765 wiki to find out more about that.
3) I don't have a webcam on mine, so I can't tell you about that one (although add-on webcams work fine).

May 2nd, 2008, 03:42 PM
The webcam works.

We've tested it with Cheese and Ekiga softphone, and I know people are using them with Skype.

It works on programs that use the v4l2 protocol.

Luke has no name
May 2nd, 2008, 07:35 PM
Haha, how about this one, do the Sys76 laptops come with a Windows key?

May 2nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Ummm... Well, yes. But we do have a bug report filed on it, and we have it marked critical. :guitar: