PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is IBM T43 good for Ubuntu?

Olnex
May 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
I'm going to buy an IBM refurbished T43 and install Ubuntu, I'm not sure are all hardware compatible with Ubuntu? And does this machine run ubuntu slowly?
Thanks

NobleSavage
May 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
I´m using 8.04 on my T43. Works fine, no problems at all. Itś a good laptop and itś great with Ubuntu.

subzero316
May 2nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
Any PC is good for :KSubuntu:KS...

toobitz
May 2nd, 2008, 12:10 PM
You may want to have a look at this page: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Ubuntu_7.10_on_a_ThinkPad_T43 - it's for Ubuntu 7.10 but I guess it won't be very much different for 8.04.

I've been running Ubuntu on a Thinkpad T43p for several years now, basically since Ubuntu 6.06, and apart from some headaches in the past after distribution upgrades (because I wanted 3D effects from early on and ran experimental software - my bad), I was always very satisfied.

gyrfalcon
October 17th, 2008, 09:34 PM
From my personal experience the IBM T43 is not good for Ubuntu if you're using a docking station.

Even with 8.10 and xrandr drivers I couldn't get reliable handling of dual-headed video with X, or good OpenGL support across the displays. Basically the main issue is not with Ubuntu but the ATI graphics card.

I also found that OpenSuSE seemed to better in the dual-head setup w/and without the proprietary ATI drivers than Ubuntu was.