PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] moving program to etc.

cwrann
May 2nd, 2008, 02:02 AM
I am running Xubuntu 7.10

I have just installed a program from a tar.gz. This is the first time I have installed software on my computer other than from add/remove or synaptic. I can successfully run the program from terminal.

I have two questions: How do I get the program file off my desktop and into etc. and how do I get a launcher under the office category in my launcher panel.

when I try to extract directly to etc. I get this message.

tar: celtx: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied

SunnyRabbiera
May 2nd, 2008, 02:04 AM
you have to use sudo, as the etc folder needs root access.
in your terminal make sure to put sudo before the command you need

Tatty
May 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM
Firstly, why are you trying to extract it to /etc? If the instructions do not tell you to do that then it would be best to keep it in /home for the time being.

But the reason you are having problems is because you need superuser powers to extract to /etc. How are you trying to extract? if it is via commandline then you need to preface your command with sudo, eg:

sudo tar parameters...

If you are doing it graphically then to launch nautilus with superuser powers type
gksu thunar

(gksu is just like sudo, except with a few tweaks which make it handier for running graphical apps in)

Monicker
I am running Xubuntu 7.10

I have just installed a program from a tar.gz. This is the first time I have installed software on my computer other than from add/remove or synaptic. I can successfully run the program from terminal.

I have two questions: How do I get the program file off my desktop and into etc. and how do I get a launcher under the office category in my launcher panel.

when I try to extract directly to etc. I get this message.

tar: celtx: Cannot mkdir: Permission denied

/etc is not the proper place for executables; that directory is for configuration files.

/usr/local/bin would be more suitable.

sudo cp programname /usr/local/bin

For a launcher, you can right click the top panel, select Add to Panel, and then select Custom Application Launcher.

cwrann
Thank you for the reply.
the program is celtx it is currently on the desktop, what command should i use to get it into etc?

SunnyRabbiera
May 2nd, 2008, 02:10 AM
well you can just extract it, open up a terminal and type in sudo thunar and manage your way to your filesystem, then go to the etc folder...

Tatty
May 2nd, 2008, 02:11 AM
command line:

sudo cp /home/path/to/file /etc/path/to/where/it/should/be

or grapically:

gksu thunar Then drag n drop.

But as mentioned by monicker, it would be best in /usr/local/bin

EDIT: Apologies, just after reading the last post that you are using xubuntu which uses thunar instead of nautilus, have amended my posts to suit

cwrann
May 2nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
Sorry, I got the later messages after I posted my reply. I thought the program belonged in etc. because that is where I found open office and figured that they are similar programs and belonged in the same folder, I guess not.

I tried

cwrann
May 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
... I tried

sudo cp celtx /usr/local/bin

It did put the shell script in this folder but I cannot get the prgram to run from this folder.

SunnyRabbiera
May 2nd, 2008, 02:22 AM
dont give up, you made a basic mistake thats all.
you could try to place the app in usr/bin, and if you need to link to it you know where it is now :D

Tatty
May 2nd, 2008, 02:33 AM
http://wiki.celtx.com/index.php?title=Install#For_Linux here are the installation instructions for you :)

cwrann
May 2nd, 2008, 02:39 AM
Thanks everybody, I got it all figured out now.