PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a simple mail server to test send_mail from django

WinterWeaver
May 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Can anyone recommend a simple mail server setup to test if my send_mail function in django (python) is working as it should?

I've tried to set up postfix, but I think my head is going to explode O.O

On a Live environment, someone else usually takes care of the mail servers for me, so I've never actually touched it (heck, I only started playing with Apache on Monday :P ). But I need to test if my code is working.

Much appreciated,

EDIT: I should prob also mention I'm trying to send the mail via my smtp.gmail.com

WW

WW
May 1st, 2008, 09:34 PM
This doesn't exactly answer your question, so you can file this post wherever you feel it is appropriate. :)

I use a server for a web page and for my subversion repositories. I have my subversion repository set up so emails are sent when a repository is checked in. Instead of setting up postfix or some other mail server, I use a program called svnmailer, and to actually take care of sending email, I use the Python program smtpclient_tls.py (http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/mail/documentation/examples/smtpclient_tls.py) that is provided as part of Twisted (http://twistedmatrix.com/trac/wiki/TwistedProject).

This following python script uses smtpclient_tls.py to act like the sendmail command, and uses smtp.gmail.com as the smtp host. I use this because svnmailer expects a command that behaves like the sendmail command; you won't necessarily need this.

my_sendmailer.py

#!/usr/bin/env python

import os
import sys

# Copy stdin to the file /tmp/svnmail
msg = sys.stdin.read()
msgfile = file("/tmp/svnmail","w")
msgfile.write(msg)
msgfile.close()

# Run smtpclient_tls.py to send the email to each recipient
from_address = sys.argv[2]
to_addresses = sys.argv[3:]
base_exec_str = "python /srv/svn/smtpclient_tls.py --smtp-host smtp.gmail.com -u GMAIL_ADDRESS_HERE@gmail.com -p 'GMAIL_PASSWORD_HERE' -m /tmp/svnmail -f "+sys.argv[2]
for to_addr in to_addresses:
exec_str = base_exec_str + " -t " + to_addr
os.system(exec_str)

I have a copy of smtpclient_tls.py in /srv/svn (for no particular reason that I can recall).

You'll need to install some of the twisted packages to use this method. I can check which ones I have installed if you are interested.

WinterWeaver
May 1st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks you I'll have a poke around twisted :)

So does svnmailer take care of the "serving" part for you? or did you need to add another mailserver?

WW
May 1st, 2008, 09:58 PM
I didn't install a separate mail server--Twisted takes care of that. You can probably ignore the stuff about svnmailer. I just mentioned that as background. The main tool for sending mail is the program smtpclient_tls.py, which uses several Twisted modules to send the email. Twisted calls this program a "demonstration", but I found it to be just what I needed. (I was also nearing the "exploding head" stage when reading about setting up an email server.) Here are the options to smtpclient_tls.py:

$ python smtpclient_tls.py --help
smtpclient_tls.py [options]
Options:
-u, --username= The username with which to authenticate to the SMTP
server.
-p, --password= The password with which to authenticate to the SMTP
server.
-f, --from-address= The address from which to send the message.
-t, --to-address= The address to which to send the message.
-m, --message= The filename which contains the message to send.
-h, --smtp-host= The host through which to send the message.
--smtp-port= The port number on smtp-host to which to connect.
[default: 25]
--version
--help Display this help and exit.

Demonstrate sending mail via SMTP while employing TLS and performing
authentication.

$

My Python program given above is just a wrapper for smtpclient_tls.py, to make it behave like the sendmail program (which is what svnmailer expects).

WinterWeaver
May 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for that :)

I'm busy setting up Twisted now. It seems sooo much easier. I guess I wont know till I try ^_^

mssever
May 1st, 2008, 11:24 PM
You don't need a mail server to send via Gmail's SMTP service. You do need an smtp library, though. I use smtplib, which is part of the Python standard library. It's pretty basic.

Here's an example from one of my projects:
import smtplib
from sys import argv, exit
import yaml # Library: PyYAML; Ubuntu package: python-yaml

msgfile, configfile, DEBUG = argv[1:]
DEBUG = bool(DEBUG)
f = open(configfile)
config = yaml.load(f)
f.close()
if DEBUG:
print config
fromaddr = "%s <%s>" % (config['name'], config['email_from'])
toaddrs = config['email_to']
smtpinfo = config['smtp_server'] # contains all relevant connection info

f = open(msgfile)
msg = 'From: %s\r\nTo: %s\r\n%s' % (
fromaddr,
', '.join(toaddrs),
f.read().strip(),
)
f.close()

if DEBUG:
print smtpinfo
counter = 0
while True:
if DEBUG:
print 'counter =', counter
try:
s = smtplib.SMTP(smtpinfo['server'], smtpinfo['port'])
except (smtplib.SMTPException,smtplib.socket.error), e:
if DEBUG:
print type(e)
print e
counter += 1
if counter >= 10:
print 'Unable to establish a connection to the SMTP server. Please check your network connection.'
raise
else:
break
if DEBUG:
s.set_debuglevel(1)
s.ehlo()
if smtpinfo['authentication']:
if smtpinfo['use_tls']: # Gmail requires this
s.starttls()
s.ehlo()
s.login(smtpinfo['login_name'], smtpinfo['password'])
result = s.sendmail(config['email_from'],toaddrs,msg)
s.quit()
if result: # This means that one or more destination addresses were unsuccessful
for i in result:
print i
exit(4)

ramalho
March 23rd, 2010, 07:34 PM
For testing, you can use Google's SMTP server if you hava a Gmail account. Official docs here:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

Cheers,

Luciano Ramalho

tree_snake
June 13th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hello, could someone explain me, where the prob is?

All of you say: everything I need is a smtplib, which coming with Python. Django Doc says (http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/email/#module-django.core.mail) send_mail is a some kind of a "lightweight" wrapper of smtplib library. So...it seems that I have everything I need to send emails, but it doesn't!

What I should do ? What should I read again ? =)