PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Index of Programming Challenges Sticky

JupiterV2
May 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
After solving the first few issues at projecteuler.net (http://projecteuler.net), I thought it would be a nice addition to the programming challenges thread to list a few of these sites there rather than hidden in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=679718. (I realize that there is a link to them in the Programmers Talk FAQ but its pretty easy to overlook)

When I first glanced at the challenges on these boards I concluded that they were likely too difficult for me to solve. However, after solving some of the issues at project euler I realized that what many of you have said all along holds true: It's not how well you know a language or how many languages you know but how well you can solve problems.

I realized that there are MANY ways to solve a single problem (the threads with everyone's solutions were very entertaining to read). Consequently, I realized that the challenges here were not too hard for me to solve because I didn't know enough but because I thought I didn't.

I just feel that there needs to be WAY more emphasis on finding creative solutions to problems rather than on the syntax and structure of each individual language.

So, a long winded way of saying: Can we have more emphasis on solving programming challenges by providing more of them? Like maybe a novice series of threads or links to sites with them? :)

LaRoza
May 1st, 2008, 07:00 PM
So, a long winded way of saying: Can we have more emphasis on solving programming challenges by providing more of them? Like maybe a novice series of threads or links to sites with them? :)

Do you think having a sticky devoted with providing challenges and tasks is a good idea?

Perhaps that thread from the sticky and the challenges going on now, and possibly other challenges?

Sounds like a pretty good idea. There are a lot of queries on things to do, and having a unified sticky would be a good idea.

mssever
May 1st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Not a bad idea. If that happens, then I think that the programming challenges thread should be unstickied and linked from that sticky instead.

LaRoza
May 2nd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Not a bad idea. If that happens, then I think that the programming challenges thread should be unstickied and linked from that sticky instead.

Yes. If there are any threads/links for this possible resource sticky, post them here.

mssever
May 2nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
Yes. If there are any threads/links for this possible resource sticky, post them here.

Well, there's the old standard Python Challenge and Project Euler. In addition, I remember a challenge website that focused on C++ and Java that involved you actually uploading your source for the challenge and the system would build it and check it. I can't seem to find the link. And, of course, I did a quick Google search for "programming challenge" and came up with a lot of hits...

JupiterV2
May 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
I haven't done any of the challenges on CProgramming (http://www.cprogramming.com/helpfree.html) yet, but they have a few. I'll keep an eye out for more.

Even though some of the current challenges on this board are accessible to non-experts, they are a trifle difficult for most novices. I have been trying to think of a good few challenges for the more "newbie" amongst us to work on and start a another set of threads. Work it as a primer before moving on to the more difficult problems. Perhaps something along the lines of the first challenge where you are to create a stack implementation without relying on an STL (or another non-C++'s equivalent) but slightly simpler.