PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ext Driver for Windows or NTFS driver for Ubuntu

JoyceBabu
May 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my system after two days struggle. Ofcourse, the problem was not with Ubuntu or Windows, but with me :). Anyways, now that I have installed Ubuntu, I am full of doubts. Can someone plz clarify me on these?
My first doubt is about the drives shared by both Ubuntu and Windows. Can someone plz suggest me which of the following is best option?
* Format the drives as Ext3 and use Ext2ifs or Ext2fsd on windows
* Format as NTFS and use NTFS-3g on Ubuntu
* Format as Fat 32
Since I am new to the Linux Operating System, I won't be completely switching to Ubuntu suddenly.

My second question is about installing a development LAMP server on Ubuntu. Can someone plz tell me which all packages I should install. I am confused by all those packages having the term 'apache' in it :confused:.

Thanks in advance.

Paqman
May 1st, 2008, 06:58 PM
Hardy can read/write to NTFS, so that'd be the easiest option. The only downside is you'll get fragmentation, so it would pay to occasionally boot in Win and run a defrag.

There are ext3 tools for Windows like ext2ifs (http://www.fs-driver.org/), but i've not used them a great deal. They seem stable enough.

PeterJS
May 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my system after two days struggle. Ofcourse, the problem was not with Ubuntu or Windows, but with me :). Anyways, now that I have installed Ubuntu, I am full of doubts. Can someone plz clarify me on these?
My first doubt is about the drives shared by both Ubuntu and Windows. Can someone plz suggest me which of the following is best option?
* Format as Fat 32
Since I am new to the Linux Operating System, I won't be completely switching to Ubuntu suddenly.

I would go with NTFS, ntfs write support is good enough that you won't damage the disk, the only reason I'd shy away from ext3 under windows is I've heard it's not so good about permissions and ownership. And FAT32 would be terrible under both, don't bother.

My second question is about installing a development LAMP server on Ubuntu. Can someone plz tell me which all packages I should install. I am confused by all those packages having the term 'apache' in it :confused:.

Thanks in advance.

In Synaptic Package Manager (System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager), in the edit menu there is an option to mark packages by task. One of those tasks it LAMP server, if you select that the system will handle getting all the right packages installed (this is just a GUI frontend to the tasksel program Ubuntu server uses to setup tasks and services).

JoyceBabu
May 1st, 2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks a lot. That was really quick.

In that case, I am going to reformat the shared drives back to NTFS. Will try the LAMP option too. Thanks.

BTW, While installing, I have set mount points for the shared drives as /Media/G and /Media/H(because I was trying ext2ifs at that time). Will reformatting cause any trouble?

Hospadar
May 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM
I use ntfs in linux and the ext drivers for windows, I've never had any corruption or instability issues with either, but I'd prefer to format something ntfs if I was going to use it in both os's.

I do this for two reasons,
One: ubuntu comes with ntfs already, it's easier to do that downloading installing and restarting windows
Two: if you ever use that drive in another machine (like let's say you need to plug it into someone else's machine for recovery), either that machine will be a windows machine which you may or may not have priviledges to install stuff on, and you won't be able to use the win ext drivers, or it will be a linux machine that will read ntfs just fine.

So it's really a personal preference thing, and as mentioned above, you will need to use windows to defrag now and then, but I don't think that's a super big deal.

stchman
May 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
* Format as Fat 32

Thanks in advance.

I would go with an NTFS shared partition using ntfs-3g.

Leave the Windows system drive alone. You can mount it with read only no write. Like wise in Windows you can install Diskinternals that gives you read access to EXT3 partitions.

http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

Follow my tutorial on partition mounting.

http://www.stchman.com/part.html

MongooseCage
May 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
Yeah, ntfs-3g FTW. FAT32 sucks its terribly slow and ext3 isn't perfect.

BTW, how do you start a thread? I haven't been involved in a forum before.

JoyceBabu
May 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
BTW, how do you start a thread? I haven't been involved in a forum before.
Visit any forum, say Absolute Beginner Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) (current forum) and click the New Thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=326) Button.