PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hardy Heron(sp) and 8139too

senkard
May 1st, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hi, I just downloaded the hardy heron desktop i386 iso, and after burning and trying to boot up the live cd, it stops and drops me down into BusyBox, and says that I need to try to boot with 8139too... now when I installed Gutsy I didn't have this problem, does anyone have any suggestions what to do..

aeiah
May 1st, 2008, 11:17 AM
from a quick google it looks like its an ethernet driver, and it seems that sometimes it isnt compatible with 8139cp, which is what it tries to load. im not sure how to get around this besides pulling out the network card, installing, and then trying to manually install the right driver. perhaps the 8139too is present on the livecd and you can invoke it somehow upon boot. you should try and find out if you can do this first before pulling the card out etc

senkard
May 2nd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I can't take the Network Card out because I'm using a laptop, the thing that's weird is that I didn't have this with older versions of Ubuntu.

Thanks for the suggestion though, aeiah.

senkard
May 4th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I'll put some more information about my problem... I'm using an Acer Aspire 5050 laptop, I dual boot ubuntu gutsy and windows, the previous versions of Ubuntu have always booted up via live CD. Hardy will not, it drops me down to busybox and says something about using the 8139too driver, as the guy posted above it has something to do with my NIC, it's realtek and since it's my laptop it's built into the motherboard.

Does anybody have any idea on what to do, or a possible way to fix this?

PS I could update from Gutsy to Hardy, but I'm afraid if I do that I'll have more problem then I would by trying to do a fresh install...

senkard
May 6th, 2008, 04:22 AM
I don't mean to sound rude, but why is it so hard for someone to reply or to help me out on this?

sortlan
May 6th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Have the same problem here... Never had any problem in earlier versions of either Ubuntu or any other distro...

Have Linux Mint now, so need a cleen install for 8.04. There is no live cd for Heron out there with the right driver?

senkard
May 10th, 2008, 01:47 PM
It's kinda lame that not a single person has any ideas on what to do, or any helpful suggestions, what a joke...

ugm6hr
May 10th, 2008, 01:53 PM
It's kinda lame that not a single person has any ideas on what to do, or any helpful suggestions, what a joke...

There is a problem with your LiveCD.

I have an Acer Aspire 5051AWXMi (5050 derivative).

It has the same ethernet card (8139), and the 8139too driver works fine (as you would expect) - lshw:

*-network:0
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:08:02.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:16:36:c7:d9:1e
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=64 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 module=8139too multicast=yes

I have used the i386 and AMD64 LiveCDs of 8.04 / Hardy, and both work fine.

I installed 64-bit in the end.

I suggest you check the CD, re-download or re-burn.

senkard
May 10th, 2008, 01:55 PM
ugm6hr thanks for you reply, did you start it up with a special command to have the 8139too driver enabled? or did it just work out of the box?

Oh and about the 64-bit version, is java and flash working correctly finally?

ugm6hr
May 10th, 2008, 02:00 PM
ugm6hr thanks for you reply, did you start it up with a special command to have the 8139too driver enabled? or did it just work out of the box?

Oh and about the 64-bit version, is java and flash working correctly finally?

Nope. CD in drive and turned on. My wifi (Atheros) and ethernet just work.

64-bit flash works. Java not so much. But I installed 32-bit SwiftWeasel for that with a How-To script from here for that (alongside 64-bit FF3). Haven't had to test it out yet.

sortlan
May 14th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I used the alternate CD, and did the installing prosess directly (not by the live CD).

Worked like a dream :)