PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] .rar files

ameanjoe
May 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
Aloha,
Does someone know how to open .rar files. I've downloaded a couple of books on Ubuntu, but can't read them. They were downloaded in the "chm" format.
Should be simple, but I don't know how....
Thanks in advance, ameanjoe

Nepherte
May 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
Install unrar:

sudo apt-get install unrar

BkkBonanza
May 1st, 2008, 10:19 AM
There are a few choices. Open synaptic and search "rar". You will see some choices including the one above. I think there is one that's unfree that will encode and decode.

aeiah
May 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
as for chm, you can also use a number of viewers, like gnochm or xchm.

sudo apt-get install xchm

SunnyRabbiera
May 1st, 2008, 10:21 AM
Yeh its easy to remedy this, go up to system then to administration and then click on synaptic package manager.
and then search for unrar, after that its all very straightforward as you right or left click the box next to the unrar package and mark it for installation...
learn more here:
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

ryanhaigh
May 1st, 2008, 10:25 AM
You may also want to install gnochm so that you can view those books. To install the software you can use the same command as above.

sudo apt-get install gnochm

Or you can search through applications>add/remove or system>admin>synaptic
Or you can click this link > apt://gnochm

Also you may need to enable the universe and mutliverse software repositories in system>admin>software sources before you can install these things. Just check the boxes, close the window and reload when prompted.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

tacutu
May 1st, 2008, 11:28 AM
This should work:
unrar x <filename>.rar

sayakb
May 1st, 2008, 11:30 AM
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Would let you handle the files normally.

ameanjoe
May 1st, 2008, 10:13 PM
A BIG THANK YOU to all who responded to my query.
If I can't make it work with all the help, I should go back to Windows(NOT)!!
Now I need to figure out what's causing my upgraded 8.04 to not boot
(or at least requires 3 or 4 attempts). Just hangs at the Ubuntu splash screen.
But this was not part of the current query. And again, a massive thankyou.
Aloha nui, ameanjoe

ameanjoe
May 1st, 2008, 11:11 PM
New update:
Tried every suggestion and the best response I got was "file/directory doesn't exist", yet I can see then (2) there on my desktop. Possibly I need to move them to another directory? Or delete them and re-download?
I feel so stupid sometimes. Being a newbe and trying hard to learn, and I truly appreciate all the suggestions, comments, responses. At least, it would seem, most everyone commenting can speak english and has some understanding of how people and things work. And I thank you all again.
Aloha, ameanjoe

ryanhaigh
May 2nd, 2008, 12:29 AM
If you have installed unrar then you should just be able to right click on the files and select extract here or open them by double clicking and extract using file-roller(archive manager in applications) and extract from there. Is this what you are trying and getting the error?

Were the original archives split rars with many files and on .rar?

ameanjoe
May 2nd, 2008, 12:44 AM
Thank you again, Ryan,
Once again...too simple for me to see. I hate when that happens.
Thankfully there are blokes like you to lend a hand.
Mahalo nui loa,
ameanjoe