PDA

View Full Version : [other] triple boot wondering

scrimple101
May 1st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Hello, i am currently triple booting Ubuntu windowsxp and Mandriva. I like Mandriva but am annoyed by the update process which i haven't got working yet. My question is this: i have an iso file of Linux Mint but the file is about one gig and i haven't got a dvd to burn it to. is there any way i can install it to the partition that Mandriva is on? If so how do you do it. It is a 37.3GB partition /dev/hda7
Regards, Rob

Paqman
May 1st, 2008, 09:46 AM
You can get Mint on a CD (Mint download page (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html))

scrimple101
May 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
yeah, i have the iso image on my desktop and was wondering if i can use that rather than a disk [cd or dvd]? i have a dvd drive but i don't have a dvd to burn it too.

aeiah
May 1st, 2008, 09:57 AM
it would probably be easier to get any version that isnt the KDE Community Edition, since they will all fit on a 700mb cd. if you want kde, you could get the minikde edition and upgrade i guess, or the main edition and just install the kde metapackage or something once installed.

lswest
May 1st, 2008, 10:06 AM
well, i found this link: http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/install-any-linux-distro-directly-from.html see if it's easy enough to follow. However, it seems to be for Windows users trying to install Linux, i only read part of it, but it might give you an idea of how to do it.

BkkBonanza
May 1st, 2008, 10:15 AM
There are utils around that will allow mounting an ISO file as a drive. I don't recall off hand the names but google should turn up a few. Recall something like magiciso or something.

What I would do is install virtualbox on either winxp or ubuntu. Then you can mount the iso as a drive and install it as as virtual machine. This is a really nice way to test out a distribution, whether installed into an existing partition or just into a "virtual drive" file. Well worth exploring that and despite sounding complex it's really very easy to do. I have tested out quite a few special linuxes this way. If you have a bootable iso image then virtualbox makes it easy to boot from it into a new virtual machine. And if you don't want to keep that machine you can just delete it from the menu. Simple as pie. Virtualbox is available free - just google it.

Hope that helps.

scrimple101
May 1st, 2008, 10:28 AM
thanks for your replies - i think i'll just buy a dvd and burn it - that sounds like the easiest way. but thanks anyway.