PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Opps, broke something

nigelm187
May 1st, 2008, 09:04 AM
Hi All,

Ubuntu all installed ok and connects to the internet with my wired connection....but I decided to have a play to see if I could connect my wireless usb device. I was stepping through the instructions on a website

I typed in

sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

.. and that was it, no internet access to carry on the rest of the install

e.g.
sudo apt-get update

etc

I managed to get my browser and emails working agin by reenabling the ethr network under system/network, but any attempt to install apps via Applications / Add & Remove or from the terminal window with apt-get just timeout

Any ideas anyone.

Regards

Nigel.

warbread
May 1st, 2008, 09:31 AM
Interesting. If you have internet access, you should be able to use the repositories. What happens when you do a "sudo apt-get update" from the terminal?

nigelm187
May 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM
Wow, that was a quick response!

If I type 'sudo apt-get update' at a terminal, it just sits at 0% [.....ubuntu address in here can't remember what it is...] until it times out

warbread
May 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
Argh! I'm at work, which won't let me ping out. Try doing a 'ping archive.canonical.com' and see if it returns anything. If it doesn't, the repos might be down. Since I doubt that's the case, we'll have to look into what would be affecting you in particular. Since I have no idea, we'll start with the basics, which means getting information.

I'll need:
Whatever site you were using for isntructions.
A post of the output of:

:-$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
What version of Ubuntu are you using?

It might also be worth your while to uninstall wpasupplicant, since it seems the trouble started when you installed in.

:-$ sudo apt-get remove wpasupplicant

nigelm187
May 1st, 2008, 11:34 AM
Ah uhmm - hang on - spotted a faux pas in my original post - sorry...

"sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant"

was meant to say :

"sudo apt-get remove wpasupplicant"

I was trying to install my Safecom wireless USB driver from the following link

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=92327

got as far as the typing in the command above (verbatum)

then tried the next bit under -

"The following may not be essential, but it's worth doing to ensure better success with other programs."

At which point, I discovered all was not well, no network anymore....

Recovered a bit by enabling network under System, but currently no apt-get or add/remove functionality.

I *can't* even track back by typing

sudo apt-get install wpasupplicant

as it won't connect

Many thanks for your help with this. I am new to Ubuntu, but think its great - had a a couple of days now - its **far** better than XP..

Regards

Nigel

warbread
May 1st, 2008, 11:48 AM
Wow! I see nothing that would screw up your apt-get, but let's try undoing the other step.

:-$ sudo modprobe zd1211

If that doesn't work, you can get wpasupplicant back by putting an Ubuntu cd in the drive. It should ask you if you want to enable it as a source in the repositories, or something like that. Accept whatever similar offer it may pose. Then, in Synaptic, go into Software -> Sources and disable all sources that are on the web (anything that doesn't say 'CD'). Click the 'Refresh' button and you should be able to install wpasupplicant from there.

I apologize if that's confusing. I'm not at my Ubuntu machine right now and am doing this from memory. I believe that the dialogues and menus are straitforward enough that my choppy directions should at least point you in the right direction.

nigelm187
May 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks again.

Pleased to hear that the instructions were correct as I still need to use them to setup the wireless usb stick.

I'm also away from the machine, so will try your advice tonight. Will let you know how far I get.

Nigel.

nigelm187
May 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM
Hi

I tried - sudo modprobe zd1211
It returned on the next line with a FATAL error. I don't think it was / has been installed.

so I put the Ubunut CD into the drive.

Synaptic Sources - Settings Repositories
Unticked all 'Downloadable from the internet' options Ticked 'Installable from CD-ROM/DVD'
'cdrom with Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron"'

Searched 'wpa'
wpasupplicants - selected 'mark for installation'

"wpasupplicant:

Package wpasupplicant has no available version, but exists in the database.
This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents of sources.list"

Regards

Nigel.