PDA

View Full Version : Implement system(char *command) in C

adityakavoor
May 1st, 2008, 07:45 AM
I am looking for a C code for the implementation of the system() call.

I have to implement that function in C language as a challenge posed in my college.

I need help in converting the character string into respective arguments to be passed to the system() where I need to call the exec.

Any idea?

scourge
May 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
This page has a code sample of how to implement the system() function: http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/system.html

I need help in converting the character string into respective arguments to be passed to the system() where I need to call the exec.

I'm not sure I understand. Do you mean that you need to tokenize a string? Then strtok_r is your friend.

slavik
May 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Your problem is a typical homework in a workstation programming class. I assume that you know about the basic shell process (fork, exec/wait).

system() pseudocode:

int system(char *) {
int f_ret;
switch (f_ret: fork()) {
case -1: perror(); break;
case 0:
//split up the string, then call the shell with the string for it to be executed
case default: waitpid(f_ret);
}
}

I believe the above should be good enough to get you started.

adityakavoor
May 1st, 2008, 07:17 PM
split up the string, then call the shell with the string for it to be executed

I want to know how this is achieved

engla
May 1st, 2008, 10:29 PM
strtok could split the string for you. I'm sure there are more convenient methods, but this is from standard C.

from "man strtok" (install 'manpages-posix-dev' for such manpages)

#include <string.h>
char *strtok(char *str, const char *delim);

The strtok() function parses a string into a sequence of tokens. On
the first call to strtok() the string to be parsed should be specified
in str. In each subsequent call that should parse the same string, str
should be NULL.

edit: I noticed those docs actually advices the programmer to avoid using strtok, since it has some quirks.

scourge
May 1st, 2008, 11:59 PM
edit: I noticed those docs actually advices the programmer to avoid using strtok, since it has some quirks.

It's not thread-safe, which is why I suggested the use of strtok_r instead.

engla
May 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
It's not thread-safe, which is why I suggested the use of strtok_r instead.

ah, I see. It's even worse than that though, it seems strtok can only be invoked for one string at any given time, nested invokations would break totally. However for very simple uses, use of strtok should be safe. And it seems strtok_r (where the r is for reentrant) is an extension as is not in any C standard (but in POSIX) according to the man page I read.