PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to fix bash shell in ubuntu

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 06:14 AM
Dear all,

I'm new to linux as well as to ubuntu and i have also installed kubuntu. I was trying to make an installation workable but somehow i just made the shell unaccessible.
When i open the kconsole its like that

bash: export: `/home/ash/omnetpp-3.3/lib': not a valid identifier
bash: lesspipe: No such file or directory
bash: dircolors: No such file or directory
bash: uname: No such file or directory
bash: uname: No such file or directory
bash: [: !=: unary operator expected
bash: [: too many arguments
bash: [: =: unary operator expected
bash: sed: No such file or directory
ash@ash-laptop:~$

I need help to fix this.

Thanks alot
ash

Monicker
May 1st, 2008, 06:18 AM
What did you do when you tried to make it "workable" ???

Did you modify the bash profile?

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
i was trying to install a simulator and then i was setting the environment variable in the bash.bashrc file. But now i'm unable to use the sudo and therefore i can't change or modify it.
cheers

Monicker
May 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
i was trying to install a simulator and then i was setting the environment variable in the bash.bashrc file. But now i'm unable to use the sudo and therefore i can't change or modify it.
cheers

You changed /etc/bash.bashrc or /home/username/.bashrc ? If you changed the latter you can copy /etc/skel/.bashrc to your local user account. I am not seeing anything else which looks like an exact copy of /etc/bash.bashrc when I hunt around on my system.

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hi, i changed /etc/bash.bashrc.

I can't edit it anymore.
Is there any way i can change this now and remove the changes which i have done it.

cheers

Monicker
May 1st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi, i changed /etc/bash.bashrc.

I can't edit it anymore.
Is there any way i can change this now and remove the changes which i have done it.

cheers

Did you happen to make a backup copy of the file before you started editing it? If not, I would boot from the live cd, and copy the file from the live cd to the local hard drive.

Dr Small
May 1st, 2008, 02:54 PM
Reboot into single mode (recovery mode) from the GRUB boot menu, and when it logs you in, you will be root@host:~#

From there, edit the file.

Dr Small

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
Hi dear,

Can u tell me how i can copy the file from live CD. and how i will access the live cd after booting. As live CD gives certain options. So which option should i take. I know i 'm quite messy asking stupid questions but i'm quite new to the environment.

cheers

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Hi dear

can u explain it a bit more. As i tried this but i dont know how to edit the file at the root. As vi editor , gedit and other text editor i know dont work. Can u tell me i should i do that. Thanks for being patient.

cheers

ash123
May 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
I booted from liveCD ubuntu. But know i can't see my actual install environment but now i 'm in the environment created by liveCD. I dont know how to access the actual install ubuntu. can u guide me.

cheers

ash123
May 2nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Dear Moniker and Dr Small
I'm able to fix the shell problem by utilizing the live cd and managed to fix bash.bashrc shell. I'm really thankful to both of you guy.

cheers