PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Screen resolution headaches

cign
May 1st, 2008, 03:57 AM
Hi everyone. I'm having some headaches with my screen resolution. My PC has on board video and the screen resolution seems to default at 1280x1024. Every time I change the resolution after a reboot it seems to always go back to 1280x1024. I'm new to Ubuntu so please be understanding as I don't know my way around it quite well yet. Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

bluefrog
May 13th, 2008, 02:28 PM
have a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf (with a text editor for example) and see if there is the resolution in that file.

you could also make a little command which will be launched upon your desktop start up to change automatically the reolution if you do not have any other way.

for such a command:
system/preferences/session [startup programs tab]
click add
name: change my res
command: xrandr 1024x768 (or whatever resolution you want, find available resolution in a terminal by issuing the command xrandr)
comment: change my res upon startup

ubuntu-freak
May 13th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Have you tried using displayconfig-gtk to make your chosen resolution stick? If not, press Alt F2, type "gksudo displayconfig-gtk" and your password when prompted, then select your resolution and reboot to see if it sticks.

Nathan

alienexplorers
May 13th, 2008, 03:16 PM
What graphics card are you using? Do you have the correct video drivers loaded?

linux phreak
May 13th, 2008, 04:30 PM
If your monitor is a 17 inch one then 1280x1024 is the default resolution.

cign
May 17th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Thanks bluefrog. I did end up modifying xorg with the help of another forum member, but i will try your approach. Althoug I modified xorg.conf once in a while the resolution jumps to a different setting, however if i reboot it goes back to 1024x768. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

cign
May 17th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Hi, I did that and it seems to work for the most part. Every once in a while it changes by itself but if I reboot it seems to go back to normal.

cign
May 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hi alienexplorers. It's an onboard video card on a Compaq PC. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for drivers for this machine. I got it pretty steady with suggestions from forum members and I'll keep an eye on it to see how it plays out.

Thanks.

cign
May 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hi linux phreak. It's a 19" monitor.