PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 inside Windows?

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 02:52 AM
Has anyone had troubles duel booting 8.04 in Windows Vista Home Premium or XP Professional?

I am considering using the option in the CD to do this, but I am leery.

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 02:56 AM
Could you elaborate on your question? Ubuntu should run fine dual-boot, or installed as a Windows application using Wubi (which is included on the default 8.04 disc).

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM
There is a 'dual boot' option in the 8.04 CD - I would like to use it. Has anyone had problems with this option using the above OS types?

I couldn't, for the life of me, get 7.04 to dual boot.

cardinals_fan
May 1st, 2008, 03:01 AM
What happened?

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 03:03 AM
No matter the method - And I tried many - It would only show windows. I reinstalled 4 times, in different orders, and even tried SuperGrub.

vphreeze
May 1st, 2008, 03:05 AM
i am currently dual booting Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop after using Wubi to install inside of Windows XP Professional. everything seems to be working fine on both OS's. i am still playing around with Ubuntu, so i havent used it extensively, but i have ran a few of the pre-installed programs, watched a few movies, surfed the internet (wired and wirelessly), and installed some programs through the Synaptic Package Manager...so far, so good.

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 03:07 AM
Does it give a 'bios' dual boot option? or, Does windows need to load first?

doorknob60
May 1st, 2008, 03:10 AM
What do you mean by bios dual boot? After it shows the BIOS with your screen with the Dell or HP logo or whatever it shows at first, instead of booting into Windows, it should show something like this:
http://wubi-installer.org/images/boot-screen.jpg

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 03:12 AM
Sweet, that is what I was looking for.

'Bios' was intended to mean Greenscreen Option.... or Black/White.... bios type. :) Thanks. Time to install.

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM

It should be really simple. Install windows onto its own partition, install ubuntu onto the next partition. GRUB should install by itself. Simple.

What problems did you encounter?

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 03:30 AM
windows wouldn't boot in 7.04 - i did exactly as you said. it just showed a black screen.... taht is all

Harkainos
May 1st, 2008, 03:33 AM
At this point, ubuntu is doing the same thing. I ran the cd and set the option 'install inside windows' - it goes to the dual boot screen, but when i click ubuntu - it sits there

vphreeze
May 9th, 2008, 03:06 AM
sorry, i don't get get to check back on the forums as often as i should, so i don't know if you solved this yet or not.

what i did when i installed with Wubi was to boot all the way into Windows (i have XP). then i inserted the CD and disk auto-started. i selected "Install Inside Windows" and ran through the appropriate steps and installed it to the same partition Windows is installed on. i only did 4gb for the installation size to keep it small while i played around with it and ecided if it was worth persuing further. after the installation was done, when i rebooted i got the normal Windows dual boot option with XP as the default (auto selected after 10 seconds) and Ubuntu was selectable. both selection boot with no issues for me.

the only other thing i can think of besides an uninstall/reinstall would be to make sure the disc is not still in the drive when you boot. also, make sure that you set a password during the installation, and i think it has to be 6 characters or more.