PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stuck at step 4 of installation

pkjai1
May 1st, 2008, 12:00 AM
I have a computer that has 2 separate installations of Windows XP. This was the result of purchasing a new HD and installing windows on the new hard drive but I was too lazy to move the files from the old hard drive to the new one.

I'm trying to wipe the old hard drive, put Ubuntu on it and run a dual boot setup.

Now here's the problem:
I'm running the install off the Ubuntu CD I burned. Everything loads up fine but it keeps getting stuck at step 4 where it tries to load up the Partition manager. I restarted a few times hoping that it would just work some how but that, obviously , didn't work since I'm here.

I pull the slave hard drive (the newer hard drive) out of the computer and tried again. The partition manager part loads this time but it does not show the drive I've been trying to install it on. Its just a blank list, and no errors pop up.

The system setup:
CPU - P4 2.26
Mobo - Asus P4T533-C
Gfx Card - GeForce3 Ti 200
Memory - 512 MB RDRAM
HD - 80GB WD, 250 GB WD
Optical Drives - 2 NEC DVD Burners

If you know what's going on let me know. Thanks ^_^

Edit: I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 btw.

pkjai1
May 1st, 2008, 12:47 AM
Gonna bump this.
(Impatient =])

pkjai1
May 1st, 2008, 03:20 AM
Alright. Now I have a new problem. I pulled the smaller hard drive out and wiped the partition on another computer. Then I plugged it back into the computer I'm trying to install ubuntu on.

Now it won't boot from the Live CD at all. It's giving me the "PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT." message.

I'm sure I have the jumpers correct and the IDE cables correct. The CD was verified previously so I dont have a bad burn. I have also reset the BIOS and i have the boot sequence settings correct.

So if anybody could help out that would be great.

devoncabdb
January 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I have a computer that has 2 separate installations of Windows XP. This was the result of purchasing a new HD and installing windows on the new hard drive but I was too lazy to move the files from the old hard drive to the new one.I'm trying to wipe the old hard drive, put Ubuntu on it and run a dual boot setup.Now here's the problem:I'm running the install off the Ubuntu CD I burned. Everything loads up fine but it keeps getting stuck at step 4 where it tries to load up the Partition manager. I restarted a few times hoping that it would (http://www.tanapple.net/da/health/acne-skin-treatment-2-easy-steps-to-clear-skin.html) just work some how but that, obviously , didn't work since I'm here.I pull the slave hard drive (the newer hard drive) out of the computer and tried again. The partition manager part loads this time but it does not show the drive I've been trying to install it on. Its just a blank list, and no errors pop up.The system setup:CPU - P4 2.26Mobo - Asus P4T533-CGfx Card - GeForce3 Ti 200Memory - 512 MB RDRAMHD - 80GB WD, 250 GB WDOptical Drives - 2 NEC DVD BurnersIf you know what's going on let me know. Thanks ^_^Edit: I'm installing Ubuntu 8.04 btw.It's good for reference, Many thanks to your description!