PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] UNRr'ing split archives

iSplicer
April 30th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Hello all

I have a 6.6GB file that is split-rar archived in windows into 50MB chunks. I am trying to unrar it in ubuntu by installing "unrar", using this command:

sudo apt-get install unrar

However, although it works, it is dead slow. I have been unraring this archive for the last 20 minutes and it is still going. The annoying thing is that there is no progress bar displayed, and I have another 100GB of archived stuff to burn.

Can anyone kindly suggest an alternative to "unrar"?

Thanks

Monicker
May 1st, 2008, 12:27 AM
If it was compressed using maximum compression, it may take a while, depending on the total number of files and their size. I do not think using another package is going to be significantly different.

7zip has a module for handling rar files.

sudo apt-get install p7zip-rar

You could also get the linux binary from the rarlabs web site and try that.

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Thankyou for the reply.

If I install the p7zip-rar, do I have to do any additional configuration, or willi t automatically use that when I right click the archive and select "extract here"?

I will try the linux version from rarlabs, hopefully I can get that working.

Monicker
May 1st, 2008, 01:04 AM
Thankyou for the reply.

If I install the p7zip-rar, do I have to do any additional configuration, or willi t automatically use that when I right click the archive and select "extract here"?

I will try the linux version from rarlabs, hopefully I can get that working.

It should be automatic. I would uninstall the original unrar package first. I am not sure how it would handle it if multiple packages for decompressing rar files are installed.

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
It should be automatic. I would uninstall the original unrar package first. I am not sure how it would handle it if multiple packages for decompressing rar files are installed.

OK, thanks once again. I will try it soon after I do my homework :guitar:

And the linux binaries from rarlabs should work on split archives, right?

abhiroopb
May 1st, 2008, 01:06 AM
Even files of about 1gb take 3-5 minutes, you'll have to be patient I'm afraid.

iSplicer
May 1st, 2008, 01:14 AM
Even files of about 1gb take 3-5 minutes, you'll have to be patient I'm afraid.

Hmm.. Maybe its just my brain, since there is no progress bar. I will extract it in windows and measure the time, and I will do it in ubnutu and measure the time also. The placebo effect will nicely come into being when one method has a progress bar and the other one doesnt.