PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Possible to access my windows partition?

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well its day 2 of my conversion to ubuntu and I am really damn pleased, it looks better then vista and mac and everything i could want seems to be free and just trickle in from the PM, its like dating a super model!

1] So now that i have it all up and running i need to get all my crap off the windows partition and I don't want to burn 10 DVDs to do it plus I have photoshop docs that are larger then DVDs :( Can I just somehow access the windows partition and move them over to my new tasty OS?

2] When i get this all exactly how I want it, is it possible to somehow make a backup or image of the whole thing so that If something terrible happens i can just slap it all back on without reinstalling? I also have other identical machines i wouldn't mind putting my install on without going through the whole process.

Ubuntu is totally F-ing METAL :guitar:

inferiorwang
April 30th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yes you should be able to grab your files unless they're encrypted. Ubuntu supports windows file systems. You should be able to go to the Places menu and see a list of drives available, but they won't have the labels you're used to in windows.

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Doh! The only thing i see listed under places for drives is "computer" and the only thing listed under that is my DVD and "File System" which appears to be straight ubuntu..

pikabuntu
April 30th, 2008, 09:27 PM
places > computer > it should be in here. it will be named something like: 27.5 GB media (yours will be different)

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 09:49 PM
huh, i dont have anything like that all i have is:

Leo
Desktop
File System
Network Servers
Trash
-------------
Documents
Music
Pictures
Video

cwgatling
April 30th, 2008, 10:03 PM
You might have to mount it. Try a 'sudo fdisk -l' from the terminal and identify the location of your partition (e.g. /dev/sda2). Then do 'sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /mnt' /mnt can be any mount point you want. apt-get install ntfs-3g to have read+write access to NTFS partitions.

woocashacn
April 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM
huh, i dont have anything like that all i have is:

Leo
Desktop
File System
Network Servers
Trash
-------------
Documents
Music
Pictures
Video
Maybe your windows session was not clearly closed (hibernated / power reset) and that causes NTFS / FAT not being mounted automaticaly...

(guessing as I had such problem)

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
im not sure i understand so is it:
'sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /[folder you want mount to appear?]'

cwgatling
April 30th, 2008, 10:17 PM
That's it exactly. For example, you could do:
mkdir /windows-mount
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda2 /windows-mount

Then 'cd /windows-mount' to (hopefully) see your files.

doorknob60
April 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
It depends, type the following command in a terminal (Applications ->Accessories ->Terminal)

sudo fdisk -l
THen, looking at the output, choose the NTFS one
EXAMPLE:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xf806f806

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 2932 23549368+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2 9364 9729 2939895 5 Extended
/dev/sda3 2933 9363 51657007+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda5 9365 9729 2931862+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

for me, my windows partition is /dev/sda1 which has the type NTFS (default in Windows XP), but it might be different for you, just look for NTFS. Then, type the following command:

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/[whatever] /[wherever you want it, I use /windows personally]

Also, you could add a line to your /etc/fstab file to make it automount when you start your computer, but I kinda forgot how to do that :P

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Gatling! I am in my windows right now gutting it from the inside out! :)

Question, will this mount be permanent or do i have to do this every time i boot?

leotemp
April 30th, 2008, 10:30 PM
heh, thanks for the info, ill just google that as i am sure there is an easy to find answer for that one, right now my big problem is I only know how to relate my questions in windows terminology which just pulls windows results in google.

cwgatling
April 30th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Excellent man! Well done. Yep, you've got to add a line to /etc/fstab as doorknob60 said. Psychocats has the answer here -> http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows
I'm not at my Ubuntu machine at the moment, so I couldn't tell you the exact syntax.
Good luck :)