PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to unmount - Hardy 8.04

Cris(c)
April 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi everybody,

I've been experiencing the following problem: I wanted to unmount two partitions so I went to the /etc/fstab file and commented the two lines refering to these partions. However, when I restart my laptop the partitions still are there! I have no idea what's wrong since I used to do the exact same thing with Gutsy and it always worked! I currently am using the kernel 2.6.24-16 image, though I've experienced the same problem with the 2.6.22-14 one...does someone have a clue of what's going on here? How can I fix it?

mikeyphi
April 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Don't know the answer to that - had a similar problem and had to use gparted to unmount a partition!

Cris(c)
May 1st, 2008, 07:02 PM
Nobody there with some suggestion how to overcome this problem??? it'd be greatly appreciated it!

sisco311
May 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
Try to create a /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-dont-mount.fdi file:

gksu gedit /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-dont-mount.fdi

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="storage.hotpluggable" bool="false">
<match key="storage.removable" bool="false">
<merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
</match>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>

Read the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file.

Cris(c)
May 1st, 2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks sisco311 for your suggestion. This is surely a stupid question, but reading the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file I notice that the code you pasted is exactly the same I already have in my preferences.fdi file. Do I still need to create the 10-dont-mount.fdi file? By the way, what are we exactly doing here?

Thanks a lot!

sisco311
May 1st, 2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks sisco311 for your suggestion. This is surely a stupid question, but reading the /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi file I notice that the code you pasted is exactly the same I already have in my preferences.fdi file. Do I still need to create the 10-dont-mount.fdi file? By the way, what are we exactly doing here?

Thanks a lot!

The code in the preferences.fdi file is commented out. You can uncomment it or create the separate .fdi file.

EDIT: I don't know to much about comments in xml files. So try to create the new file.

Cris(c)
May 1st, 2008, 10:23 PM
The code in the preferences.fdi file is commented out. You can uncomment it or create the separate .fdi file.

EDIT: I don't know to much about comments in xml files. So try to create the new file.

I wasn't commented out actually...