PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Pidgin and Webcam

ericxhall
April 30th, 2008, 08:15 PM
does this happen?

ACJarrett
April 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm farely sure pidgin can't use webcam yet. but hopefully sometime in the future!

ericxhall
April 30th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah, I am almost positive it can't but maybe someone knows something?
Do any of the other IM clients?

Samhain13
April 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Kopete has webcam support. :)

ericxhall
April 30th, 2008, 08:23 PM
i love you, now i can see boobies!

in your opinion how does this equate to pidgin?

tompickles
April 30th, 2008, 08:31 PM
well - its a kde app - installed by default with kubuntu - so, to use in ubuntu youll need to add some kde library files - all done thgouh the add/remoe programes for you though. its alriht if you like kde - i dont! - so, whatever works!

if its for msn - you can use aMSN

anemptygun
April 30th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I agree with tompickles it seems like a fine app but it's just designed for kde. So try it out maybe you'll find you like it better than pidgin.

rolnics
April 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM
I found it to crash a bit to often! Since I've found Pidgin I haven't looked at anything else. There again I ain't bothered about webcams!

eldragon
April 30th, 2008, 09:28 PM
given the fact that we live in an open source world. whats stopping the pidgin dev team of taking webcam support from kopete, wrap it in the form of a plugin and release it?

maybe they should focus on this and not on fighting on whether the user will be allowed to resize the input window or not. they seem out of focus. since pidgin 2.0, there hasnt been much of an improvement.

lets see what the new fork does for us.....

anemptygun
April 30th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Response of requests for video support on pidgins website:

Add voice and video support for all protocols that support it. This WILL happen eventually, but it is a rather large undertaking and very few core developers are interested in working on it.

DO NOT leave a comment here asking us when it will be finished, or asking us to hurry, or telling us why we should spend all our free time working on it.

If you really want to help, have 15 hours a week of free time, have at least five years experienced programming in C and have experience with undocumented network protocols then please email our devel mailing list and ask where you can get started.

DMK62
April 30th, 2008, 11:49 PM
There is also Gyachi messenger if you are using Gutsy or prior versions of Ubuntu. I recommend getting the .deb file from

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=431290&highlight=gyachi

Sorry for the rather long link. If it doesn't work do a search on the forums for gyachi and its in tips and tutorials. It is for yahoo only and has a ton of features that come in handy ( webcam screen size, capture, etc etc )

Dale

Samhain13
May 1st, 2008, 01:30 AM
i love you, now i can see boobies!

in your opinion how does this equate to pidgin?

Well, as a couple of our friends have suggested, it's quite iffy if you use it outside of KDE (Kubuntu). But I use it (in Ubuntu) for Yahoo! and have had no bad experiences with it so far.

master5o1
May 1st, 2008, 01:56 AM
amsn and kopete both have webcam support for MSN.

amsn is a bit ugly though... But so is all of KDE IMHO.

Alnird
May 19th, 2008, 09:10 PM
So, is there any chat program that I can use with my newly installed Ubuntu and a hotmail account that supports webcam? (I'd rather if it wasn't on half the peoples hate-list :P)

HotShotDJ
May 19th, 2008, 09:13 PM
i love you, now i can see boobies!:shock:
Surely video IM isn't required for THAT

MugenDraco
May 25th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I'd say use Kopete. it's what i use, and it works fine. the smiley theme sucks, but other than that it's fine. do note though that ppl can't request ur webcam to view it. u have to invite them to activate the cam.