PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] N00buntu: A N00b with Questions

MonsoonRush
April 30th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hi there,
I am an absolute beginner with no existing linux experience whatsoever. I have been looking at ubuntu for a while now with intrigue and curiosity. I have recently acquired on the cheap a Playstation 3 with 60GB hard drive, and am eager to tinker with that. I am currently debating the viability and usefullness of installing another operating system on in and have been thoroughly debating the usefullness of Yellow Dog (the officially supported distro) vs Ubuntu.

Completely separate from that, I have been looking to either dual-boot or tri-boot my year old Macbook Pro (4 gb Ram, 2.33 gHz processor). I am a noob to linux but an old hand at computers, windows and dos, so it's not as if the command line prompt scares me to type in, just that I would have no #@$@ing clue what to type in the form of syntax!

I am looking for several pieces of advise:

1.) What are the merits of installing Ubuntu over Yellowdog. It appears that Ubuntu is more regularly supported/updated, but that could just be my perception. Is there anyone that could give me a more objective viewpoint on this? Most forums I have been browsing either gush with fanboyism for one or the other with little to no informational substance and I dearly would like some informed perspective on the matter.

2.) What programs are available for Ubuntu that I could use? I am looking to not only duplicate but also expand my options, as I currently have a Macbook Pro with Parallels Virtual Desktop installed with Windows XP. I am looking for both a.) Programs that mirror my existing functionality and b.) Programs that are exclusive to Ubuntu/Linux that expand beyond my existing capabilities.

3.) Regarding different flavors/kernels of Ubuntu . . . what would be the best one to install on the PS3? Or perhaps my Macbook as a partition?

4.) Would it be possible to install Ubuntu through Parallels Virtual Desktop for OSX and to see its usefullness for myself?

5.) Is there a beginner's guide that I can look at that will thorougly explore the benefits of "going Ubuntu"?

Thank you all so much for your time!
Savan

tompickles
April 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM
2 + 5 => linky (http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/804features/)

tibellus
April 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Hello.

Here's a link (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316047) on how to install Ubuntu on PS3. It is somewhat old, so if you have any problems I can add some more links, if you need. I'm not a Mac expert and I don't own a PS3, but I can tell you that you should first think what you want to do with Ubuntu. For what do you want to use it for? For example, Xubuntu is the fastest 'flavor' from my point of view, but it lacks some features. Kubuntu is very easy to use, while Ubuntu is the intermediary (it uses the GNOME desktop environment). Also, if you are used to the Mac OS X look, Ubuntu can be configured to look like that - and partially act like that - with a few tools.

billgoldberg
April 30th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I would install yellow dog linux on your ps3.

Since it's made for the ps3, the hardware support should be better.

You can run xp inside ubuntu using virtual box, vmware, ... (virtual box is pretty good).

akiratheoni
April 30th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Hi there,
I am an absolute beginner with no existing linux experience whatsoever. I have been looking at ubuntu for a while now with intrigue and curiosity. I have recently acquired on the cheap a Playstation 3 with 60GB hard drive, and am eager to tinker with that. I am currently debating the viability and usefullness of installing another operating system on in and have been thoroughly debating the usefullness of Yellow Dog (the officially supported distro) vs Ubuntu.

Completely separate from that, I have been looking to either dual-boot or tri-boot my year old Macbook Pro (4 gb Ram, 2.33 gHz processor). I am a noob to linux but an old hand at computers, windows and dos, so it's not as if the command line prompt scares me to type in, just that I would have no #@$@ing clue what to type in the form of syntax!

I am looking for several pieces of advise:

1.) What are the merits of installing Ubuntu over Yellowdog. It appears that Ubuntu is more regularly supported/updated, but that could just be my perception. Is there anyone that could give me a more objective viewpoint on this? Most forums I have been browsing either gush with fanboyism for one or the other with little to no informational substance and I dearly would like some informed perspective on the matter.

2.) What programs are available for Ubuntu that I could use? I am looking to not only duplicate but also expand my options, as I currently have a Macbook Pro with Parallels Virtual Desktop installed with Windows XP. I am looking for both a.) Programs that mirror my existing functionality and b.) Programs that are exclusive to Ubuntu/Linux that expand beyond my existing capabilities.

3.) Regarding different flavors/kernels of Ubuntu . . . what would be the best one to install on the PS3? Or perhaps my Macbook as a partition?

4.) Would it be possible to install Ubuntu through Parallels Virtual Desktop for OSX and to see its usefullness for myself?

5.) Is there a beginner's guide that I can look at that will thorougly explore the benefits of "going Ubuntu"?

Thank you all so much for your time!
Savan

Don't worry, the command line will come in time and you'll learn that it's far more powerful than DOS :P

As for the Parallels Desktop, there is VMWare, Parallels, VirtualBox, and Qemu for virtualizing Windows. I use VirtualBox and I like it a lot.

As far as I know, you should be able to run Ubuntu under Parallels but I'm not sure.

I don't own a PS3 but it's probably best you install the officially supported distro, just like how you'd install Hardy Heron on your computer for Ubuntu, not Edgy Eft. :P

MonsoonRush
May 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
First Thing, let me say thank you all so much for the assistance and forthcoming advice! It's greatly appreciated, as this is more than a little scary from the perspective of a lifetime Windows user who knew little to nothing about Linux a year ago.

Hello.

Here's a link on how to install Ubuntu on PS3. It is somewhat old, so if you have any problems I can add some more links, if you need. I'm not a Mac expert and I don't own a PS3, but I can tell you that you should first think what you want to do with Ubuntu. For what do you want to use it for? For example, Xubuntu is the fastest 'flavor' from my point of view, but it lacks some features. Kubuntu is very easy to use, while Ubuntu is the intermediary (it uses the GNOME desktop environment). Also, if you are used to the Mac OS X look, Ubuntu can be configured to look like that - and partially act like that - with a few tools.

I think the problem comes in with the answer to that question:
"I have no idea". As in, I have no idea what Ubuntu is capable of that other OS's are not, what I want to use it for on the PS3 etc. The majority of my research has been confusing and circuitous, at best. What's out there? Emulators, certainly would be nice. Are there programs to utilize in Linux that would help me beyond my OSX/Windows dual boot circumstances?

My problem there in answering all that stems from ignorance, and its been a devil of a time trying to alleviate that.

As far as I know, you should be able to run Ubuntu under Parallels but I'm not sure.

I don't own a PS3 but it's probably best you install the officially supported distro, just like how you'd install Hardy Heron on your computer for Ubuntu, not Edgy Eft. :P

See my problem here is, I see on the PSPUbuntu site that Ubuntu -does- have a distro for PS3, homebrew though it is, and very much in its infancy. My concern is that while YellowDog -did- jus come out with version 6.0, it seems Ubuntu has a much more broad, devoted and active following, and that Yellowdog is more of a niche market. Is this innaccurate, or am I on the right track here? Insofar as virtualization, I am looking to confirm if someone has tried ubuntu on Parallels' latest build for OSX Leopard, so I can do a fast install and check it out.

Thanks all and regards!

Savan