PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Alt+Function keys don't work

IanGT
April 30th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I recently decided to migrate fully to Ubuntu at the release of 8.04 and so far, with some minor hiccups as I've learned, it's been quite good to me. I'm keeping track of issues I have with the operating system in a Tomboy note and I've got many more checked off than left open at this point. However one thing that I cannot find a solution to online is that all alt+function keys don't seem to work.

Googling this returns a lot of results where this becomes a problem after installing Kubuntu or making other changes, but it's been an issue for me since I first installed, and I haven't made any significant changes. Not only does run (alt+f2) not work, no alt+func combo works for any application. The function keys themselves work however - I can pop up help with f1 just fine.

Other results indicated people getting errors from the GNOME Settings Daemon. I don't have any error messages.

I've been told to select my keyboard in the keyboard options screen, but my specific model (Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000) isn't there and selecting other Microsoft keyboards doesn't fix the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

[Quick edit: I should mention that this is a problem from both the liveCD and my main installation.]

OffAxis
April 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Is your F-Lock button engaged?

IanGT
April 30th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Holy crap, now I feel stupid.

Thank you.

:)

OffAxis
April 30th, 2008, 06:22 PM
You're welcome :)

revanthedarth