PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with SQUASHFS error

TuckLive
April 30th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'm trying to install Hardy, but even before it loads I get a "SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page" that just scrolls forever. When I check the cd for error I get 13, but I checked the same cd in my laptop and it says 0 errors and loads fine so it's not a bad cd. I tried my old 7.10 cd and I get the same error. Anybody else seen this?

jdholifield
April 30th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Tuck, I saw the same thing with my installation last night.

Fortunately I was able to press the reset button on the computer and after a cold boot it started right up normally as it should and I've had no problems with it since.

TuckLive
April 30th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I haven't been so lucky. I've pushed the reset button dozens of times hoping to get lucky. I had Windows Server 03 running perfectly with it. I believe the problem to be hardware, but I can't think of what.

TuckLive
April 30th, 2008, 07:40 PM
to give more information, 7.10 server ed. works just fine. I also burned another cd at the lowest speed and still same results. The problem must reside in hardware, but not in the cd player. Anybody know a workaround or something I could possibly change in the bios?

Nidding
May 1st, 2008, 02:40 PM
I have the exact same problem except that the cd doesn't show any errors when I check it.
As I was convinced that the cds were the problem, after 5-6 different cd/DVD and maybe 20 runs of the installation, I actually got it past this point of the install (I changed the installer language to Danish instead og English at this point so maybe that had something to do with it). But I've still only managed to get it to the basic install, so I can now boot the console. As I'm a rookie when it comes to linux, I don't know what to do from here, so if anybody can come up with a workaround, it would be quite nice.

digitaldoug
May 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
I got the same problem. It turns out that ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386
iso image is too big for many CD-R (733,079,552 bytes) and this
truncates the squashfs.filesystem file on the CD-R. I tried copying it to a DVD-R, but am still having problems.

I don't know why Ubuntu has not pulled this .iso from its
distribution yet.

digitaldoug

devliljohn
May 6th, 2008, 05:20 PM
i was having the same error and after reading this thread i trie dburning the .iso to a dvd and it worked. w00t w00t

aks19
February 2nd, 2011, 01:24 PM
I also faced the same problem and it got resolved when I the downloaded the iso image file again.

For me the problem was the corrupt iso image. I used md5 checker and realized that I was not getting the expected md5 sum on existing iso image file.

I downloaded the file again and checked md5. This time I got the expected md5 sum and was able to successfully install the OS.

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers.