PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Saving pictures in GIMP, files become bigger

Marianne_S
April 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I am new to GIMP and have one problem with it. When i save the photos the files get unusually bigger. Here is a before and after example - i didn't edit anything on this picture.

Before (file size 152 KiB):
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/jadajadamaryann/before.png?t=1209569729

After (file size 441,2 KiB)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/jadajadamaryann/after.png?t=1209569785

It is probably some preferences issue, but what?
I have tried searching the forum, search engines and reading tutorials without finding anything on what causes this, or how to fix it. Hope someone can help me with this.

oedha
April 30th, 2008, 04:51 PM
did you do save or save as ?
if you change the file type...yes...the size will change
or when you save ... did you change the quality ?

Marianne_S
April 30th, 2008, 05:07 PM
no, i chose "save" . i tried it once again with another picture, and this time reset the "load defaults" and "save defaults", and the file size still changed alot. also i looked at the "advenced options" and the box named "use quality settings from original image" is checked, and when hovering my mouse pointer above it, it says that should "get almost the same quality and file size". Both images were originally jpeg, and i didnt change that either, nor the quality.

oedha
April 30th, 2008, 05:14 PM
mmm....quiet strange.....
i never had this before....sorry...i cant help :(

OffAxis
April 30th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Initially when you 'Save' a .jpg it'll ask you about the compression options; this'll upsize or downsize the file that you're writing.
Subsequent 'Save' operations will use the compression factor that you set up.

You can click 'Save As', and the 3rd pop up (after file naming / confirmation) will be the compression options again.

Likewise, .png has a compression setting; that's where your larger file size is coming from. For some reason, the compression options didn't come up when I hit 'Save' for the .png, but it did come up when I hit 'Save As'.

Marianne_S
April 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Initially when you 'Save' a .jpg it'll ask you about the compression options; this'll upsize or downsize the file that you're writing.
Subsequent 'Save' operations will use the compression factor that you set up.

You can click 'Save As', and the 3rd pop up (after file naming / confirmation) will be the compression options again.

Likewise, .png has a compression setting; that's where your larger file size is coming from. For some reason, the compression options didn't come up when I hit 'Save' for the .png, but it did come up when I hit 'Save As'.
uuuh ok so how to save a file and not make it three times as big?

Marianne_S
April 30th, 2008, 06:40 PM
uuuh ok so how to save a file and not make it three times as big?
never mind, it seems to be fine now, when i only choose "save default".

thanks to all of you!:)